Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    epodietz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 10:16 PM
    Harbor Breeze Avian Ceiling Fan - Noise, warped housing
    I recently purchased two Harbor Breeze Avian Ceiling Fans from Lowe's. I noticed they had a discounted price and that a couple of the fans in stock were obviously returned, so I was a little suspicious. I installed one of them (lousy directions), and while I really like the look of the fan and the remote, I noticed after installing the lighting glass that the motor housing is quite out of round. Since the edge of the housing turns adjacent to to the stationary light glass, the warp is doubly noticeable. Furthermore, the fan makes a hum which is amplified by the out of roundness, so you get a "wum-wum" sound that increases with the speed of the fan.

I haven't opened the second box yet, am wondering if others have encountered the out-of-roundness or the loud sound. I am hoping that if I get a perfectly round one in the second box that the sound will go away.

I found the same issue with the dimming remote in the other post on avian - true for me, too.

Thanks
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Try the other one. If that one is good, maybe you can bend the first one into shape.
    epodietz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 12:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    Try the other one. if that one is good, maybe you can bend the first one into shape.
    Well I suppose I could have tried bending it back, but I didn't think that I would be able to get a perfectly circular shape. I returned it to Lowe's and got a new one which was OK. Installed both fans. They both are a little noisy compared to other fans I have purchased at Lowe's, but they do look good and also move a lot of air. I am hoping the remote control will prove to be a long lasting solution to the broken chain pull switches I have experienced with other fans.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Hunter fans > Harbor Breeze & Hampton Bay > Aloha Breeze

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HARBOR Breeze Ceiling Fan [ 16 Answers ]

We have a harbor breeze ceiling fan. The blades have quit turning but the motor continues to hum when switch is on. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be? I called Lowe's and they told me to turn the blades by hand with the switch off and if I heard a buzz it was probably the ball...

Harbor Breeze Avian Ceiling Fan - very dim light [ 18 Answers ]

I bought and installed a 52" Harbor Breeze Avian ceiling fan with a built-in light kit from Lowe's, but the light is VERY VERY dim. It takes a 100w halogen bulb... I tried replacing it because I thought maybe it was just the bulb, but the next one was just as dim. I've searched all over for help...

Buzzing noise coming from my Harbor Breeze Triton Celing Fan? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently installed a 52 inch Harbor Breeze Triton Ceiling Fan with light and remote control in my son's bedroom. When I flip the light switch on his wall to turn on power to the fan I can hear this light buzzing noise coming from the fan. Is this normal? A friend told me it was the remote...

Harbor breeze ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have two hb outdoor ceiling fans with light kits on our covered completely out of the weather patio.One of them just quit working.I checked all the wiring and it seems all good.When I pull on the chain to switch speeds I can feel a slight vibration like it is trying to move but no movement.I...

Harbor Breeze ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

We have the Triton Ceiling Fan by Harbor Breeze. We have installed it on a vaulted ceiling. Problem is: it won't hang straight. The down rod rubs against the canopy cover. How can we straighten this out?

View more questions Search