Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scud Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2004, 05:40 AM
    Unable to Resolve DNS
    Hi,

Anyone got any good ideas on how to fix the issue with Win98 where it does not resolve DNS i.e. you can ping IP addresses fine but not addresses.

We have reinstalled tcp/ip, communications etc. recreating DUN, with and without automatic assignment of DNS settings. Tried sfc to replace any corrupt files. Definitely online and connected and getting an IP address, in ipconfig even displays the correct DNS settings.

So anybody got any ideas on how to make this machine resolve DNS short of a reinstall of windows?

Any help will be appreciated,
    Thanks
    :)
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 6, 2004, 06:11 PM
    Unable to Resolve DNS
    Have you tried manually assigning DNS addresses? I believe you can do this through the same dialog you use to set up phone number, userid, etc...

Could your firewall be blocking DNS?

Just my $0.02

~psi42
    scud Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2004, 04:34 AM
    Unable to Resolve DNS
    Thanks for your help anyway, when I said we have tired it with and without automatic I mean we have tried it with and without manual assignment (same thing).

Anyway after much searching I finally found the solution on a website:

http://www.jdigs.com/dnsproblem.htm

In case anyone else is interested and that fixed the problem.

Thanks Again :)
    userz211 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2005, 05:35 AM
    The link is outdated

- I think there might be a virus or worm going around - I clean out the PC but it still can't resolve ip addresses - it can ping any pingable address but can't resolve it...

Any information you can suggest is greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unable to install printer [ 3 Answers ]

Seems to be one issue after another.. but hopefully this is minor one... 'used' to have a printer, but after various scares, scans, clean ups, etc.. Now cannot install a printer.. I click on 'add a printer' and get box saying operation could not be completed.. Win XP sp2 Updated files, ...

Cd-rom unable to read [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I'm new to this community and I am also new to the techie world. I don't really know all the fancy names and such and such that everything has, but my computer has a few problems which I think could be related. Its kind of long because I don't know what's important and what is not, so sorry...

Unable to view cd contents [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am using celeron 1.1 , 192mb RAM with win98se. When I put CD in the LG combo Drive the cd icon changes to audio cd and winamp opens. Any solution for this would be appreciated? ~Pradeep.

Unable to log in win98-want to reboot [ 6 Answers ]

I have a problem with windows explorer: if I log on, even in safe mode I get an error message. ("this program has encountered an error and needs to be shut down"). When I click 'close' the same message just comes back over and over I tried setting the cd-rom as the primary drive and using the...

Unable yo delete [ 4 Answers ]

Some files I cannot dlete with my XP+sp2. I get this massage: "Cannnot delet [file or folder}: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" What should I do? Thanks Alik

View more questions Search