Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Wasp Infestation
    Eighteen days ago, I found many wasps in my apartment and called the maintenance man for help. He killed them and used a spray on the outside bricks where he saw wasps going through a hole in the mortar to their nest in my wall. I asked for an exterminator to help with the problem

Making a long story short, he has been back a couple of times helping me get rid of wasps as I was bit once while in bed. Last night, I got another wasp bite, and Monday, it will be 20 days since the wasp problem started.

I feel that as of Monday, the landlord owes me 20 days rent and a pest control operative to rid me of this problem. Is an apartment with wasps in it habitable?

Is this a legal way to solve the problem?

What is your opinion? What does the law say?

I like to maintain friendly relations with my landlord as I often ask him not to raise my rent.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 03:57 PM
    As long as you're still living there then the apartment is considered habitable. There's no way a judge would grant you a rent refund of 20 days if you didn't leave.

The landlord definitely owes you anything you may have spent on pest control and it is definitely their obligation to get rid of the wasps.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Thanks Lisa,

The problem is I can't leave because I'm in a wheel chair, and have other severe problems. To vacate, I would have to go to a hospital.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Is a hotel an option?

The other problem is that if you try to get a rent refund through legal process you will definitely make an enemy of the landlord. Have you tried talking to the landlord and asking for a rent rebate? They might be willing to take a percentage off the rent for the month. I'm sure they'd much rather do that than get sued.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flea Infestation! [ 18 Answers ]

Hi Everyone OK my house is infested with fleas. It is nasty and gross. Help how do I get this under control. Oh yes opps forgot to tell you. We have five 8 week old kittens which we are about to give away soon. But they are infested with fleas. We also have 3 cats that are infested with...

Wasp, how to get rid of them [ 5 Answers ]

What is the best spray to use or the best natural way to get rid of wasp

Flea infestation [ 2 Answers ]

I have a male cat with flea infestation. I have tried pills,shampoo,sprays.I just cannot get ride of them. The said to use infestation .That did not work. I am at my wits in. My cat is a Male hemalain. Help

Bed bug infestation [ 2 Answers ]

I am renting an apartment and it has bedbugs. My daughter is allergic to the bite and cannot sleep there. Who is responsible for there removal? I have contacted the landlord several times and I am told someone will get back to me. It has been a month since I first called. I live in Washington PA.

Ladybug infestation [ 6 Answers ]

Anyone know why my house is constantly getting ladybugs in it? And what I could do to get rid of them?

View more questions Search