Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bruter602 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2006, 08:24 PM
    Weird bathtub drain problem?
    Hi my bathtub drain is leaking but will only leak when tub is full of water ,and the plug pulled, then it leaks downstairs but... when tub is empty and plug is out and I let the water run into the tub and down the drain it does NOT leak why is that any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2006, 08:42 PM
    You may have a very small hole or crack in your drain line under the tub and when you are just running water= the pressure in the tub there is not a great enough to leak or it is not enough water leaking to show up downstairs. When you fill the tub and then pull the plug that puts enough pressure on the leak or it leaks enough to show up. Do you have an access panel on the other side of the wall that is next to the drain end of the tub, if so you need to get into the opening and find out what is leaking. If you don't have the panel it might be wise for you to make one if it is feasible, because the damage will only get worse.
    bruter602 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2006, 11:27 PM
    Thank you no I don't I have a tub surround but can access all drain fixtures in downstairs ceiling had to remove suspended ceiling tile in recroom now either me or my wife has to be downstairs with pail in hand to catch dripping water when tub is drained will get closer look

Thank you for responding

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub drain [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know what the part is called that has a lever and opens and closes the drain in the tub. I just moved in to an apartment and discovered that my tub doesn't have this so I can't take a bath only a shower. I want to know the right part to request they put back in the tub so they don't bring...

Bathtub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I cleaned a pair of boots off in the tub. Debris went down the drain from off the boots and I think that this may be part of the problem I am experiencing. Every time I take a bath or shower and the water goes down the drain, it comes out in the basement from under the stairs. This happened twice....

Bathtub drain [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone care to share their preference for the lever type bathtub drain vs the lift and turn type. I have always had the lever type stopper but I don't think they have worked real well after they get a little age on them.

A weird problem.. please help me [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks ahead, for anyone who'd try to help me figuring out what's going on with my computer. I have this problem over the past two years! But it somehow solved and occur by itself.. Anyway here it is: I have my two computer, one desktop and one laptop, connected through a switching hub(8...

View more questions Search