Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anshuman7777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Difference in US Tax for Resident Alien vs Non Resident Alien
    Hi

I work for a multinational software company.
    I came to US from India on L1-B visa in May 2008 and will be returning back in November 2008.
    This is my first visit to the US and I am not married.
    My stay in US will be around 180 to 185 days. I am not getting Indian salary during this period and the only income is the US salary.

For US Tax purposes, I understand that if I return back to India before completing 183 days in US, I will have the Non Resident Alien status; but if I return after completing 183 days, it will have Resident Alien Status.

Can you please tell me the difference with respect to the US Tax applicable to me in the above two situations?

1. What is the difference in the tax rates applicable to me in the above two situations ?

2. Can I get benefit of the Tax Treaty with India in any of the above two situations ? If yes, please explain.

3. Which situation is better for me? Going back after 180 days or after 185 days ?

Thank you

Anshuman
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 11:17 PM
    In the U.S. you can file non-resident tax return even if you have completed 183 days or more in 2008. You can not file resident tax return if you leave the U.S. before Dec 31, 2008. On your non-resident tax return, you will get exemption deduction and itemized deduction. You can also deduct many items of daily expenses and travel expenses.

You must worry more about India taxes. Make sure that you do not spend more than 181 days in India in the FY 2008-09, otherwise, you must report your worldwide income. Read Becoming or Retaining Non-resident Status
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 09:06 AM
    You will file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR IF your salary is being paid by a U.S. company or the U.S. subsidiary of your parent company.

Because you are in the U.S. for less than one year, you can deduct your daily living expenses (food, housing, transportation, incidental expenses) while in the U.S. on Schedule A of the Form 1040NR as employee business expenses.

This assumes that you are NOT receiving a per diem stipend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident alien married to Nonresident alien- 1040 details [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a straightforward question: I am a resident alien who is married to a nonresident alien. We have one child who is my dependent. I will be filing as head of household and will claim an exemption for my wife (she does not work) and for my child. Do I still need to write my wife's...

Income tax returns Resident Alien or Non Resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA for the first time on July 5, 2007 and working here in NJ. I am currently on H1B (Sept 2006 - Sept 2009). I am married and my wife came here in Sepetember 2007 on H4. My question is whether I need to file income tax returns as Resident alien or Non-resident alien for 2007? In...

Status changed from resident alien to non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

I was under F1 from Aug 2002-May2007, OPT from June 2007 to Sep 2007 and now on H1-B from Oct 2007. I am married and my wife's status changed from F2 to H4. My questions are, 1. Am I considered as a dual-status(resident alien from Jan to Sep and non-resident alien from Oct to Dec)? 2. Which...

1040NR -> 1040: Non-resident Alien to Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard a rumor that after 5 years of being an international student filling out 1040NRs, you are supposed to start filling out a 1040 instead of a 1040NR. I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and...

View more questions Search