Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LaurenRocks587 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 02:42 AM
    11 years old: but not clueless.
    Okay so,
    I'm 11 years old. Yeah, I'm dating someone that's 16. My parents are fine with it. No he doesn't use me for sex, he's never even talked about it. We don't even make out. Just small kisses. And I find it okay. Its not sick. Because 11 year olds aren't completely clueless about stuff like this. Because love is something that can't be stopped from happening. Anyway, this guy is such a good guy to me, and I'm in 6th grade. What is love? I don't think anyone completely knows. So don't bring down the smaller ones. I mean, my question is: What's your guy's opinion on me dating him?
    DrLang Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Aug 6, 2008, 03:40 AM
    I don't thing there's any problem with it so long as you are not hiding it from your parents. When I was 17, I dated a girl that was 13. I used to get a lot of flack for it. That relationship never worked out, but it was also never harmful to anyone. Just be responsible, be safe, and remember that you have a while yet before you are going to be certain what you want to do with your life. Also, have fun.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 03:57 AM
    Big difference between 13 and 11. I'm sorry but I do find a 16 year old that can only relate to an 11 year old. Why can he only relate to you? I'm not trying to indult you. You are probably a very smart and mature girl. But "teen love relationships lead to sexual activity in one variety or another. Your relationship in most areas if not all to be illegal.

You are too young for all this. Enjoy life, go out and play, get a barbie doll. Be 11
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Frankly, I think you are too young to date. An 11 year old girl is still very much a child and is not really emotionally ready for a romantic relationship.

I think kids today have grown up on movies and television and books that glorify the relationship between the sexes and make it something that everyone should strive for. So kids want to be grwonup and try to emulate what they see in the media. They do this WAY before they are ready to.

I'm not trying to put you down, but you and a 16 yr old are from vastly different developmental phases. In three years he will be working or going to college and you will just be finishing middle school. The gap will widen then.

Hopwever, if your parents are aware of the relationship and you do not engage in sexual activity, its not a horrible bad situation, but I can't see it being a long term one.
    DrLang Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Aug 6, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy
    big difference between 13 and 11. im sorry but i do find a 16 year old that can only relate to an 11 year old. why can he only relate to you? i'm not trying to indult you. you are probably a very smart and mature girl. but "teen love relationships lead to sexual activity in one variety or another. your relationship in most areas if not all to be illegal.

you are too young for all this. enjoy life, go out and play, get a barbie doll. be 11
    I disagree. First, there really isn't much maturity difference between most 11 year olds and most 13 year olds. Furthermore, I don't think there is much of a maturity difference between a 13 year old and a 17 year old. Most of a person's maturing occurs in the time after they finish high school. This is why the majority of relationships during secondary education do not last. Most of what people perceive as growth in maturity is just growth in knowledge. Maturity must be gained through raw life experience.

Second, there was no sexual activity in the 5 years (admittedly off and on) that I dated the girl who was 13 when we met.

She may very well be enjoying this relationship. Telling her to go out and get a Barbie doll is really just condescending. I think what is important here is her safety, which I believe is addressed by having her parents involved.

Aug 6, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLang
    I disagree. First, there really isn't much maturity difference between most 11 year olds and most 13 year olds. Furthermore, I don't think there is much of a maturity difference between a 13 year old and a 17 year old. Most of a person's maturing occurs in the time period after they finish high school. This is why the majority of relationships during secondary education do not last. Most of what people perceive as growth in maturity is just growth in knowledge. Maturity must be gained through raw life experience.
    I strongly disagree with this. The maturity (call it knowledge if you will) levels are very different during adolesence. This is why you rarely groups hanging together much beyond their school grades. All too often younger kids are trying to emulate the older kids and the older kids dislike it. Even a couiple of years difference can be a wide gulf. Three-four years is often a chasm.

That's not the say there aren't exceptions, but they are rare.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLang
    Second, there was no sexual activity in the 5 years (admittedly off and on) that I dated the girl who was 13 when we met.

She may very well be enjoying this relationship. Telling her to go out and get a Barbie doll is really just condescending. I think what is important here is her safety, which I believe is addressed by having her parents involved.
    This I do agree with for the most part. I still believe that an 11 yr old girl is too young for a romantic relationship. But safety is the important thing and with her parents involved that safety level is enhanced.
    IntroducingEmy Posts: 87, Reputation: 12

Aug 6, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    That's not the say there aren't exceptions, but they are rare.
    Maybe this is that exception. It's hard to say without knowing all the people involved.

Aug 6, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by IntroducingEmy
    Maybe this is that exception. It's hard to say without knowing all the people involved.
    This is very true. Therefore we have to play the percentages here. And I, for one, am uncomfortable condoning and supporting a 11 yr old dating at all, let alone having a relationship with a 16 yr old.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Wow, I was not allowed to date until I was 16 years old and even then it was supervised and I was in college. I guess time has changed.

I guess the only thing I could say is be careful. You came on here seeking everyone opinon about you dating him, how do you truly feel about it? To answer your question, I will never allow my daughter to date at that age, especially someone his age. That's just my opinon and I agree with Scotgem. What does his family think about it?

To everyone else who disagrees with some people comments, if you reread her post she asked for everyone opinons about her dating this guy. Therefore everyone should post their honest opinon.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurenRocks587
    Okay so,
    I'm 11 years old. Yeah, I'm dating someone thats 16. My parents are fine with it. No he dosent use me for sex, hes never even talked about it. We dont even make out. Just small kisses. And I find it okay. Its not sick. Because 11 year olds aren't completely clueless about stuff like this. Because love is something that can't be stopped from happening. Anyways, this guy is such a good guy to me, and I'm in 6th grade. What is love? I dont think anyone completely knows. So dont bring down the smaller ones. I mean, my question is: Whats your guy's opinion on me dating him?
    OF course you are clueless even the 16 year old does not have much of a clue what life and love is about. No 11 year old is old enough to even consider dating and parents who would know about a chlid dating at 11 are poor parents and this is as close to neglect as I can thing of in many ways. I think your parents should be real parents and tell you know, and that a 16 year old needs to stop dating children.

Aug 7, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Comments on this post

speed797 disagrees: I strongly disagree with this because you can't determine someone's muturity by their age. Just because you are 17 doesn't mean you are mature. You can be the most immature person in your school and be the oldest one their.

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

You are entitled to disagree with me. But not by usiong a negative comment. Those should be reserved where a post was fatucally incorrect.

I agree with you that one cannot tell maturity solely by age. But since the only thing we know about a poster is what they post, we have to make some assumptions. Therefore we have to go by some general standards. And the odds are that the maturity levels would be different.
    Burn Zap Freeze Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Aug 25, 2008, 11:37 PM
    I am so sick of adults that think teenagers or 11/12 year olds can't date. Most of them don't even date seriously. We see it as... A very good friend, who we're allowed to kiss and cuddle. That's it. No sex, no explicit talking, actions involved WHATSOEVER. I've had many "Girlfriends" and I tell you, the worse I ever did was kiss one of their knees better 'cause she bumped it on the table. It doesn't matter if you were limited to an age required dating when you were a pre-teen/teen. Times change, and, I believe the more freedom a child has, the more they're inclined to obey their parents trust. My parents don't limit me at all, or anything like that. I get straight A's, I'm athletic, no drugs, no alcohol, no smoking, no law breaking, NOTHING.

By the way, I know I'm off topic, I just read all the comments and got angry. =)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 12:08 AM
    I think Burn Zap Freeze makes a good point. I think we are over reacting to the word "date," and assuming it implies sexual activity of some kind.

I also think several people here have been condescending to the OP. Children of 11 and 12 are intellectually mature in many ways. They may not know a lot of things and may not have much life experience, but they are able to think about as well as adults. They should not be talked down to, particularly by strangers who do not know them.

I don't think we have enough information to say one way or the other. Yes, statistically, I'd agree it's probably not a good idea. But people shouldn't make life decisions statistically. We look at individuals.
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 05:09 AM
    I was not allow to date until I was 16 and even then my parents went along with us. I think some kids are mature but not all. I used to work an abortion clinic and most of the people that walked in the clinic was preteen to teens. At 11, I' never let child date and now kids are exploring sex beforing the age of 11. Not saying the OP might do but what do you think most 16 years old want. Things aren't how to use to be. I guess if the parents allowed it they see no harm but I won't allow it. I can get what Burn said because I was very mature for my age and graduated from high school at the age of 15 and wanted to date then especially when I went to college. I was the only 15 year old but I had loads of fun and was allowed to only date people my age once I turn 16.

Aug 26, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Burn Zap Freeze
    I am so sick of adults that think teenagers or 11/12 year olds can't date. Most of them don't even date seriously. We see it as.... A very good friend, who we're allowed to kiss and cuddle. That's it. No sex, no explicit talking, actions involved WHATSOEVER. I've had many "Girlfriends" and I tell you, the worse I ever did was kiss one of their knees better 'cause she bumped it on the table. It doesn't matter if you were limited to an age required dating when you were a pre-teen/teen. Times change, and, I believe the more freedom a child has, the more they're inclined to obey their parents trust. My parents don't limit me at all, or anything like that. I get straight A's, I'm athletic, no drugs, no alchohol, no smoking, no law breaking, NOTHING.

By the way, I know I'm off topic, I just read all the comments and got angry. =)
    See the problem here is you don't view dating in the same way that it was viewed 5, 10 or 30 years ago. What you described is not really dating. For most people dating involves a going someplace with another person so you can be alone and get to know each other. That doesn't sound like what you are talking about. Dating implies a romantic element that younger people are not always prepared to handle.

You sound like the exception rather than the rule. Kids actually want and NEED limits. As they are growing up they need to know where the limits are. They need to know that their parents care for them by setting limits. I don't know how you were brought up and it may be that your parents did let you know what the limits were because you obviously learned them somewhere. But you have limited experience, adults have a much broader experience And know that while there are exceptions there are also generalities. And we have to go with those generalities.

Aug 26, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking
    I think we are over reacting to the word "date," and assuming it implies sexual activity of some kind.
    I'm not. Dating does not automatically equal sex in my mind. But dating does imply a romantic relationship that younger people are not prepared to understand or handle.

What seems to be happening nowadays is kids want to emulate what they see in the movies and on TV. They see people having these romantic relationships and enjoying them so they wonder why should adults have all the fun. But what happens is they really play at dating. They try to emulate what they see without the background and understanding of it. They jump around "dating" one person for a week or two and it becomes meaningless. Also it ill prepares them for when they get older and dating becomes more meaningful.

Kids are trying to grow up way to fast these days. Yes they do mature intellectually faster then previous generations, but this is not necessarily a good thing. The innoncence of childhood is becoming lost at a younger and younger age and I, for one, don't believe that is a good thing.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 05:54 AM
    I do believe that there is a generational definition gap here. I see young children "dating" all the time at my school. The "dating" involves walking each other to class, sitting together at lunch, waiting for the bus together, texting and IM ing each other. Rarely does it (to this younger generation) mean a romantic dinner alone. Dating might also mean hanging out with friends, playing video games or going to a movie. But the traditional dating term has changed its definition even since I was in school.

That being said, I am glad that your parents are aware of your relationship. I find that those parents that are involved and supervise boy/girl relationships at a young age (yes 11 is young) help to ensure their child's safety and opens doors for communication later on. Being 11 you are in noway ready for sex, but if you want to hang out with this guy, talk to him on the phone, hold hands, then go for it. Just make sure you keep your parents in the loop. They love you, and want to keep you safe.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 06:20 AM
    AS I noted in a post yesterday, first an 11 year old is a child, and too many are trying to be grown up. Next while the 11 year old may have no desire to become sexual, often that 15 plus person they are dating does.
    And becuause of this they soon feel the pressure to give in to this.
    And of course that is why you see so many 12 year olds having babies now a days.
    Add this to the obvious lack of sex education at home, read the questions here and how many start we had sex with no protection or he used the pull out methoid ( which of course is not a method)

Frineds hanging out with proper adult supervision is not real dating, although some at 11 call it that and say their have a boyfriend or girlfrend of the same age, This is a far cry from individual dating with a much older teen.

And I will restate, the parents have the largest part of the responsility here to know what theier teen is doing, and not let a 11 or 12 year old girl dress like a hochy momma either.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 06:23 AM
    I agree with you Fr. Chuck that hanging out by our definition is not really dating. However, I wanted to point out that in many cases children this young have a different definition of dating then we do.
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Your are right most 16 year old boys hormones are way out of control and most likely they're two different levels. You should hear how some 9 year olds talk, it's disgusting. Most of the people that came in the clinic I worked was teens misinform about sex because the parents never discuss it so they listened to their friends. I would not trust a 16 year old with my 11 year old and furthermore I'll not let her date at that age. Me and my child father agree to that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm Clueless! [ 3 Answers ]

HEY, Im a freshmen in high school and I like this guy I don't know anything about him but I like him very much. My friends thinks he's ugly but I really don't care about how the person looks I seen him today in the café but I was to shy to say anything I would like to date him or if not get to...

I'm clueless [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 4 months pregnant and I need an ultrasound done to find out if I'm having a boy or girl, but my medical card already covered one. The father is indian and he has an indian card does anyone know if his card could cover an ultrasound since it's his child?

I am so clueless! [ 9 Answers ]

Ughh, I feel dumb even asking this, like I am 15 years old again (I'm actually 30), but it's been a long time since I've been in this situation and I am feeling uncertain here. I am not going into a long-winded explanation, so I will just give the basics. I have recently realized I have a crush on...

View more questions Search