Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lief_of_Del Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Aug 5, 2008, 11:22 PM
    Friends bird bleeding
    This is my friends question

People who know a lot about birds

Okay my cockatiel was flapping around in his cage and I notice there was blood but not a lot ((like first I thought it was his foot but after looking at his wing for like an hour I finally notice a little spot of blood... so there wasn't a lot))

I know this is cause by a damaged blood feather... but it has STOPPED bleeding.

There is one feather that is kind of sticking out of his wing which is probably the blood feather...

Note: he is young, my sister says its just cause of his feather growing in and stuff... but I want more opinions

The bird person at petco said that I should pull it out if it becomes a problem...

I've had cockatiels before but none of them had a broken blood feather... which was very lucky... so I am unsure what to do in this situation.

I just want my birdie to be alrightt

So the question is:

Should I leave him be? Or should I take him to a avian so they can pull it out?((cause I don't want to pull it out))
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 12:30 PM
    I found this site for you, hope it helps;

Cockatiels, Blood Feathers, Broken Blood Feathers,How to Pull a Broken Blood Feather from a Bird, What is a Blood Feather
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Aug 6, 2008, 04:19 PM
    I would pull it out, the shaft of bloodfeathers can become quite painful and can take up to 6 month before the bird moults it out and regrows a new one,
    If you pull it out it will take only a few days before the bird starts to regrow the feather ,

You may need assistant to hold the bird if you are not confident with handling it one handed, as you will need to hold the body and the wing steady, outstretch the wing and pull in the direction the feather is growing , grip it firm and pull it swiftly , you may want to have some cornflour handy you can then add this on to stop any bleeding from where the feather was removed , it helps to clot it quickly so it doesn't bleed much and makes it more comfortable for the bird..

Best of luck
    Katie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Friends who turned out to be false friends [ 11 Answers ]

Does any one have experience of people they thought to be friends but they turned out to be false friends ?

Is dye in bird toys safe? How to clean bird toys? [ 8 Answers ]

I am usually the one that helps other people with their cockatiel or bird questions but this time I am the one that needs help. I have cockatiel birds and I have many bird toys that I buy from Walmart and PetsMart and the other day when cleaning my bird cage I decided to wash the toys with water...

View more questions Search