Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Expopro Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Debt collector is wanting to issue subpoena on cc debt
    I have been served summons for an old (charged off) credit card debt. I filed my answer with the county court in FL within the 20 day time frame, requesting validation of the debt as well as pointing out, that this debt is out of the statute of limitation. I requested a reply within a 30day time.

... so nothing happened, but now (approx. 5 weeks after the 30days were up), I received a letter from a law firm for "Notice of Production from Non-Party", basically planning to issue a subpoena to the original credit card company to provide records on my account.

With having this received, I assume, the debt collector has absolutely no records on my debt and therefore no basis to their claim.

My question is, can I (as the defendant) interfere with the subpoena. Maybe to answer the plaintiff, that they have voided any rights to the claim as they did not reply within the requested 30 day period? Or what should I do? Their letter to me asks for any objection to be made within 15days, otherwise the law firm will apply for this subpoena with the clerk of the court.

What should I do?

Tks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Submit an objection that they have not supplied information within the 30 days granted them. And as for a dismissall of the suit.
    Expopro Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Hi Scott,
    Thanks for the fast reply. Is there any specific standardized wording or phrasing, that I should use for this objction?

And also, do I have to file a copy with the clerk of the court for this objection? The letter from the law firm looks like, it only has been send to me so far. Basically saying, if there is no objection within 15days, they will move forward with the request for the subpoena.

Tks,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Copy the court on any correspondence. Keep your language simple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Subpoena for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I just learned that my daughter-in-law just received a subpoena for a credit card debt. What should she do ?

Can Debt Collector Garnish Husband Wages For wife's Debt [ 3 Answers ]

Prior to even meeting my husband I inccured a credit card debt which I have since defaulted on. I just recently received a summons in response to this debt and am unable to pay the amount in full. Are they able to garnish my husbands check for a my debt as that I am a homemaker with no income?

How long can a debt collector attempt to collect a debt? [ 2 Answers ]

I incurred a credit card debt that was turned over for collection in 2000. The debt was incurred in Wyoming but I now live in Colorado. Can anyone tell me what the statute of limitations on a debt are and if it differs from state to state. :eek:

Can a debt collector collect on a debt charged off with a zero balance? [ 3 Answers ]

Since I have been served papers for lawsuit by Capital ONe. Someone from Elite Recovery services, Inc has sent a letter to my husband saying "advised this account has been identified by our legal Department as an account to be forwarded toan attorney." This was seen on my husbands credit report...

Contacted by debt collector after notification that debt was not valid [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by a debt collection agency by phone stating that I owed $686.00 from 1991. I returned the call to find out what this pertained to and the gave me the name a store credit card that I had at that time - during that period my ex- husband filed bankruptsy and all accounts ( personal...

View more questions Search