Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2008, 11:28 AM
    The role of the AMHD advisor
    Hello:

Till today, I have consistently advised renters who are faced with a landlord in foreclosure, to adhere to their contracts. However, I have never felt comfortable giving such advice. It IS the proper legal advice, though. But, is it the BEST advice we could give?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/real-e...ce-245122.html

excon
    Always_helping Posts: 76, Reputation: 15

Aug 4, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

Till today, I have consistently advised renters faced with a landlord in foreclosure, to adhere to their contracts. However, I have never felt comfortable giving such advice. It IS the proper legal advice, though. But, is it the BEST advice we could give?

<snip>
    Excellent question! If you are qualified to give legal advice, then you are obligated to always give legal advice in a formal/legal setting.

With that said, AMHD is mostly informal and, therefore, you are not obligated to always give legal advice all the time (though you may choose to do so).

Think of he following: When answering a question, break down your answer into two parts (appropriate legal advice and "best" informal advice). By doing this, I believe your conscience will be able to rest easier.

What do you think?

Peace.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Read your answer to the question. Seems pretty in your face advice to me. Good job, excon. If a renter does not get the picture after your answer then they are going to be very sorry.

Regards,
    Twink
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Always_helping
    Excellent question! If you are qualified to give legal advice, then you are obligated to always give legal advice in a formal/legal setting.

With that said, AMHD is mostly informal and, therefore, you are not obligated to always give legal advice all the time (though you may choose to do so).

Think of he following: When answering a question, break down your answer into two parts (appropriate legal advice and "best" informal advice). By doing this, I believe your conscience will be able to rest easier.

What do you think?

Peace.

After you've posted 8,166 times you can give moral advice to excon on how to enable his conscience to "rest" easier - until that time I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Or, for that matter, what question you are addressing.

As always, I find it amusing when someone wanders on by and has advice for the old-timers.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

Till today, I have consistently advised renters faced with a landlord in foreclosure, to adhere to their contracts. However, I have never felt comfortable giving such advice. It IS the proper legal advice, though. But, is it the BEST advice we could give?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/real-e...ce-245122.html

excon
    I think that you should continue to do what you've always done. Tell them the truth. Tell them what you believe the law to be AND what you believe they should do. The two don't always have to be the same. :) As long as you tell them that your advice may not be what you believe their legal obligation to be, and as long as you give a good reason for that (which you always do), then I don't see a problem.

I happen to agree with you on this subject. I don't know what kind of answer to give to these questions so I tend to not answer. I know that they are required to pay rent under the terms of the lease but I also know that there's a really good chance they're going to get shafted.:(
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 05:53 PM
    The legal advice is to stick to the contract. People in such situations should know that, and know what might happen to them if they bail. Knowing that, they can make their own choice, with their own standards of ethics and morals.

I feel you, though; it's tough to tell someone to stick it out when more than likely they'll get screwed. I think that, and I'm a landlord...

For what it's worth, I think you do a stellar job! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Becoming an Academic Advisor [ 2 Answers ]

I've applied for several positions as an academic advisor but never hear from any of the universities or colleges. I have an advanced degree and teach in some capacity on a regular basis. Do I need a certificate or something ? It is frustrating because I love working in academic environments and I...

Beauty advisor [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone worked for walgreens as a beauty advisor? If so what did u do and how much did u get paid? Also did you like the job? I have an interview soon and I don't know if I should accept it because I've herd a lot of bad things .

What type of questions does an interviewer ask for a customer service advisor role? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to attend an interview at British Gas for the customer service advisor role and have been told that I have to do an assessment, as well as role play. Does anyone know what the role play assessment entails of? And also what type of questions they ask as it has been 10 yrs since I last...

Becoming an Academic Advisor? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone have an leads on positions in Academic Advising?? I have to finish three clases and I will have a degree in Guidance and Counseling. I work in Career Services so I have work experience on giving advice and guidance but I want to concentrated more in Academics. I completed my...

Content Advisor [ 5 Answers ]

"Hi, My PC Win XP at work has been converted into a paper weight by our IT guy. He has restricted nearly the entire web from being displayed. Is there any back door you know of for me to make the change in content advisor without knowing his admin log-on and password?";

View more questions Search