Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LsaSnoop Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 06:22 PM
    Replacing vanity faucet nightmare!
    I started thinking I could replace the faucets easily. Instructions were to shut off water from the shut off valve. I thought I closed both but still had hot water coming through. (This was last Saturday). We were home most of Sunday and Monday morning but then went out of town. We returned late last night and found this morning that there was no water coming from vanity (that I had messed with, of course) and when I ran shower in that bathroom, there was a leak in the adjoining bathroom floor! HELP! Did I mess something up. No water in my vanity now!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2006, 08:13 PM
    I don't understand. Did you replace the faucet or not. And if you did you have water at the vanity when you left... and then didn't have any when you got home... I need more information about what you did and didn't do.

Apr 13, 2006, 07:34 AM
    I'm sorry to be so dumb, but no, I didn't replace anything. All I did was mess with the shut off valves under vanity. Now I have no water (pressure) in vanity. When I turn on the shower in the main bathroom, it creates a puddle in that bathroom in the adjoining bathroom floor. I didn't replace the vanity faucets before I left, but did mess with the shut off valves under main bathroom vanity because I intended to change them. There is now no water pressure in the main bathroom vanity but there is in the adjoining bathroom vanity. Can you help me please?:

Confused:

When water leakes it seems to leak from the seam of the main bathroom tub faucet where tub meets tile wall. It will also later go into adjoining bathroom floor.

The water is on in the whole house and nothing is leaking! The only time the leak occurs is when the shower faucet is turned on.

What do I do now! Sell the house?! LOL Please help!

Apr 13, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    I don't understand. did you replace the faucet or not. And if you did you have water at the vanity when you left........and then didn't have any when you got home.......I need more information about what you did and didn't do.
    Please read my response and see if you can help me please! I want to shower tomorrow! LOL
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2006, 06:55 AM
    First things first. Let's tackle the tub/shower leak. Before I can help I have to know what make and type,(one handle or two knobs) of faucet that you have. As for the vanity I believe when you shut the water off at the angle stops you disturbed some crud built up in the pipe walls and now it's clogged the faucet. I will also need the same details on the vanity faucet as the tub.
    Regards, Tom

Apr 14, 2006, 06:35 PM
    First of all, the tub fixture has 1 lever that turns to hot and cold side and one spicket (with a shower head in the shower of course. It has a pull knob to make the shower go. No brand or make is on it. On the vanity, no name on it just plain silver stuff with 2 clear knobs for hot and cold and a pull thingy for closing the vanity for water collection in it. I don't know if I helped with any of this but the water does seem to come from the tiles above the water hot/cold lever. Can you help me with this info?

:confused:
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 15, 2006, 06:33 AM
    The very first thing you must do is to remove the handle and chrome cover plate and turn on the faucet. First run the tub, no leakthere? Now turn the diverter on for the shower. Leaking any where up there? Tell me where you see the leak. Somewhere on that face plate should be the manufactures name. Look real hard. Regards. Tom

Jul 14, 2006, 10:23 PM
    Hi... I still have my problem. I haven't used this shower since April. The face plate on the shower knob is generic no name. The leak is not there, it is actually about 12 inches or so above the knob. Does this mean the leak is behind the wall and I have to tear down the tiles in my tub? I'm sorry to still bother you about his. Please reply as soon as possible as I will have company over and need both showers to be working. I'm scared that a plumber will see a woman and try to sell me a NEW HOUSE! LOL Could it possibly be the knob even though it doesn't leak there?:confused:

Lisa
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 15, 2006, 04:21 AM
    Lisa I'm going to put up some images of single handle tub and shower valves. Tell me which one looks like yours. If the wall has to be opened up we don't open up the tile wall, we open up the wall behind the faucet. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a bathroom vanity light [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a bathroom vanity light and would like the replacement to also have an electrical outlet since there is none in this 1960ish bathroom. Do they make these anymore? If not, in what other way could I get both a light and an electrical outlet in the bathroom? Thanks

Replacing top-mount compression faucet. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi: I am going to try (first-ever attempt) to replace my top-mount compression faucet (4" Centerset) in the bathroom sink. Anybody have a good set of instructions and/or tips? I have already sprayed WD-40 to the lock nuts under the sink since they are extremely rusted... planning on keeping...

No hot water in shower after replacing faucet [ 1 Answers ]

We just replaced the faucet for the shower in our bathroom (no tub, only shower). Water turns on & off fine & the pressure is good. However, when we turn the knob to the left (hot), we do not get hot water after this replacement. As we only replaced the faucet, we can't figure out why. Any...

Replacing bathroom faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced my bathroom faucet but can't get the water supply line to stop leaking on the hot water side. It's a copper pipe and the cold water side hooked back up with no problems. Please help.

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

View more questions Search