Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DamnGina Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 09:58 AM
    Fuel pump or fuel filter?
    :confused: I have a buick lesabre 1992 I just bought it a couple days ago.
    It was acting funny and we thought it was the transmission well it turns out there was NO transmission fluid in it so we put about 7 quart in it and that problem went away.
    But there is still another problem, when you push on the gas you can't push to hard or it will stop. We floored it up and down my street and it would go and stop and go and stop.
    And on hills it is very dificult to get up you have to go very slow. The previous owners said it was a bad fuel pump but my dad says it's the filter.
    Someone help!! I need to know so I can fix it by the time I start school
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 10:02 AM
    I like the easiest cheapest test first, replace filter, it can only help and may even reveal the source of the problem, or solve.
    Is the fuel pump in the Gas Tank?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 12:37 PM
    The fuel pump could well be the source of your problem, but it needs proper diagnosis.
    The pump is in the tank and is therefore not easily replaced.

Name:  1A.gif
Views: 1379
Size:  16.2 KB
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 134, Reputation: 5

Aug 4, 2008, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGina
    :confused: i have a buick lesabre 1992 i just bought it a couple days ago.
    it was acting funny and we thought it was the transmission well it turns out there was NO transmission fluid in it so we put about 7 quart in it and that problem went away.
    But there is still another problem, when you push on the gas you can't push to hard or it will stop. we floored it up and down my street and it would go and stop and go and stop.
    and on hills it is very dificult to get up you have to go very slow. the previous owners said it was a bad fuel pump but my dad says its the filter.
    someone help!!! i need to know so i can fix it by the time i start school
    I doubt it's the fuel filter, but fuel filters are cheap. You could pick up a fuel filter at a Parts America store, replace your old one, and see if the problem persists.

Also, it sounds more like a fuel mixture, ecu, or fuel injection problem. I think you would have trouble starting the car if it were the fuel pump. You could ask the previous
    Owner if it ever had a fuel injection cleaning.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 26, 2013, 10:29 PM
    !992 would have throttle body injection. 2 injectors. First change filter . If they didn't check the tranny fluid, I seriously doubt a fuel filter was ever changed. After changing filter, run car (in Park) and manually see if it responds to throttle increases. If it seems to be better, try driving it but don't "get into it" accelerate slowly and feel what happens. Don't get crazy throwing parts at it until you check things first. If it begins to break up , it could be a bad ignition module that goes in the distributor. Not expensive and a common problem. Look over spark plug wires, check spark plugs... change air filter... do the basic stuff. Maybe bad distributor cap and rotor. Check everything that is easy to do.It just sounds like this car wasn't taken care of. OH!! If you haven't done it yet, change the oil and filter. Put another 2 quarts of Tranny fluid in it then run it for 500 miles then CHANGE IT!! With some TLC and common sense, you could have a great car! Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No fuel through fuel pump [ 3 Answers ]

My 19HP B&S engine will not start. Spark appears OK, fuel is getting to the fuel pump, but nothing is coming out the carb. Side. Is this a vacuum problem or a bad pump?

Kia fuel filter [ 7 Answers ]

I am new at this. Where is the Fuel Filter in a Kia Sephia(99). And is it a big deal to change?

Fuel filter replacement [ 2 Answers ]

How do you replace the fuel filter on a 93 ford f150 ? Went to autozone and purchased the fuel line remover tool , but was unable to get it to work!

Fuel filter for 6.2L Diesel [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my 1987 Chevy truck with the 6.2L diesel. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram with the cummins so I am not very familiar with this old truck. I just had all the electrical gone through... starter, battaries, all of the cables including wireing through the firewall to accessories......

Where is the fuel filter [ 1 Answers ]

I've been trying to fix my car, but no gas is getting to the engine. Everybody is telling me they can here the fuel pump turn on so I'm thinking it's the fuel filter or one of the fuel wires or cloged.. CAn any one help me... The car sounds like it's going to turn over any second but won't I...

View more questions Search