Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abrparent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Apt. Lease signed but unit not in acceptable condition
    College age daughter signed lease for apartment out of town. When she looked at the unit, the cat pee odor was not noticeable. When we were ready to move her in on a Sunday, the odor was overwhelming and there was also mildew in the water heater closet. She has allergies so this is not acceptable. We are also very concerned about her safety because the unit's door is five feet away from a heavily wooded area and at night it's very dark and possibly dangerous. Question: If another unit is not available, do we have just cause to cancel the lease since she has not moved in? Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Hello a:

Signing the lease is the legally binding act - not moving in. No, you do not have legal/just cause to cancel...

excon
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abrparent
    ...When she looked at the unit, the cat pee odor was not noticeable. When we were ready to move her in on a Sunday, the odor was overwhelming and there was also mildew in the water heater closet. She has allergies so this is not acceptable. We are also very concerned about her safety because the unit's door is five feet away from a heavily wooded area and at night it's very dark and possibly dangerous. Question: If another unit is not available, do we have just cause to cancel the lease since she has not moved in? Thank you.
    Are you in California? If so, check this. If not, see if your state has a similar office. California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abrparent
    College age daughter signed lease for apartment out of town. When she looked at the unit, the cat pee odor was not noticeable. When we were ready to move her in on a Sunday, the odor was overwhelming and there was also mildew in the water heater closet. She has allergies so this is not acceptable. We are also very concerned about her safety because the unit's door is five feet away from a heavily wooded area and at night it's very dark and possibly dangerous. Question: If another unit is not available, do we have just cause to cancel the lease since she has not moved in? Thank you.

Obviously the door/woods are where they were when the lease (which is a contract) was signed so those are reasons to break the lease - it's a form of "buyer's remorse" which is not justification to break a contract.

Same with mildew and cat odor UNLESS these conditions cause a health hazard.

I would approach the landlord and ask but I would not be surprised if the landlord holds fast and refuses to let her out of the lease and/or return her money.

The landlord has no duty to provide another unit.
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 9, 2008, 06:13 AM
    If you did move into the house, you can treat the odor with ozone. It is very popular among hotels, and landlords. You can rent one and shock treat the home. It is amazing at removing odors. But, it has to be a powerful shock treatment unit.
    Good Luck,
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air condition unit [ 2 Answers ]

Our outside unit is not coming on, but the blower fan inside the house is running. Is it time to consult a repairman?

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Breaking a lease prior to occupancy.lease already signed [ 13 Answers ]

Help. My question is this... i signed a lease to rent a single family home... i gave a 200.00 deposit to hold it/toward security. I am unable to move into the home because i have to go out of state for a very ill family member (mother). ive tried to contact "LANDLORD" several times when i heard of...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Are email commitments to lease binding if the lease has not been signed? [ 1 Answers ]

We have 2 emails from a rentor stating that they will take the property for the summer (like they have for the last 3 years) and that they are putting the lease and the check for the total rent amount in the mail. We then received an email saying they changed their minds. We never received the...

View more questions Search