Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kittygirl21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 11:24 AM
    My cat only had one kitten.
    Is it possible for my cat to only have one kitten?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 12:03 PM
    It's possible, especially if she is a young or small cat, or if she didn't get adequate nutrition during the pregnancy. It's not common, though. Does she still seem pregnant? It's possible for a cat to have delayed labor, if she was bred far enough apart. It's also possible for things to go wrong in the labor, and for a kitten to get stuck in the birth canal and prevent the others from being born.
    misty3618 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 06:39 PM
    I have no clue, but my cat had one kitten last night or today, the cord is still attached but the kitten is eating well, and I have no clue if there is more or supposed to be more, or if she is supposed to only have one, she is very affectionate and is eating and drinking and going back to her baby, so I am assuming that there is no more kittens, and also she only has one nipple really big, which is the one the kitten is using... have no clue what is normal, if one is or not...
    chanelcummings Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Aug 17, 2008, 08:36 PM
    My cat only had one kitten, too.
    She is very small and we expected this of her.
    I would not worry. Try to leave them alone. And if the mother is abandoning her (not feeding, not cleaning, not sleeping with, etc.) I would begin to worry. Try getting baby formula and feed the kitten yourself.
    There's a difference between the kitten not feeding and the mother not feeding the kitten.

If the kitten does not try to suckle, there is a very good chance it will not live, bring it to the vet immediantly.
    If the mother just will not feed the kitten, you will have to feed it yourself. Once you begin to feed it yourself the kitten ill rely on you for everything. Bring it to a vet for a checkup and ask the vet for any advice.
    bridgette28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 05:01 PM
    My cat delivered 3 weeks ago today. This is her second litter, she had on normal healthy baby and one was born stillborn, try as I might to stimulate breathing he just wouldn't. Her first litter she had 5 all healthy kittens, so I'm not sure why this time she only had one. But after 3 weeks the kitten is doing great. My only concern is of the father that lives in the house as well. I have caught him twice now by the kitten while mother is eating or drinking, and it seemed he was trying to bite the kitten. Is he just trying to play or seriously harm the kitten? I tried separating them but he just won't stop crying until I open the door for him to be by the mom and kitten. Any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My boy kitten [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I've just recently been given a 10 week old boy kitten, when we first got him he used the litter box straight away but we bought some new kitty litter and its a lot diff from the one he first used and now he's peeing on the furniture and different places in the house such as paper,...

My kitten [ 3 Answers ]

Kitten is 2months old I'm seeing him sneezing and has runny eyes. What does mean? Can you help me help my kitten

My cat had a kitten~~~~ [ 3 Answers ]

And it died.. it came out butt first and my friend told me that she is still in labor b.c she keep walking around the house a lot and puring and then mowing then growing does this sound like she is still in labor or was there just 1 kitten? Please help me ASAP:confused: :confused: :confused:

My kitten [ 5 Answers ]

Okay so here's the deal. I've never had a kitten before, any cat I've ever had has been a rescue so I've never been around a kitten for more than an hour at a time, but I've just recently got one and I've been wondering about some things he does. Last night I got out my lap top and had to spend...

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

View more questions Search