Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nelsonned Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 03:37 AM
    Has landlord breach lease agreement?
    I recently signed a two year lease with the owners of a cooperative apartment bldg. the lease was signed by the president of the board for the cooperative at the time. Verbal consent was given to me by the president of the board who signed the lease to bring some of my furniture two days before the starting date of the lease, as I had to surrender the other apartment prior to the first of the month. One day before the lease went into effect, I was bringing some of my belongings to the apartment when I was met by someone who claimed was sent by the managing agent. He indicated, he had strict orders to make sure all of my belongings were taken out immediately. I informed him of the lease agreement and the consent given to me by the person who signed the consent on behalf of the cooperative, but he did not care. After talking to an attorney, I was advised to remove my personal belongings and return on the first of the lease term. I rented a storage space to bring my furniture to on that day. On the first day of the lease (Friday), I went to the apartment to start bringing some items only to find out the lock to the apartment door had been changed, I made several calls to the management agent and they informed me that the person in charge of that building was not in and she would probably not be in until Monday. I was not informed by anyone that the locks were changed or why. I had possession of the apartment keys since the time the lease agreement was signed by the landlord's representative. My questions are:
    Did I have possession of the apartment once keys were given to me? Was consent given to me by board president to bring personal belongings into apartment before start of lease legal consent? Does the changing of the lock constitute a breach of contract by landlord?
    Thanks for your help.
    nelsonned
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonned
    i recently signed a two year lease with the owners of a cooperative apartment bldg. the lease was signed by the president of the board for the cooperative at the time. verbal consent was given to me by the president of the board who signed the lease to bring some of my furniture two days before the starting date of the lease... my questions are:
    did i have possession of the apartment once keys were given to me? was consent given to me by board president to bring personal belongings into apartment before start of lease legal consent? does the changing of the lock constitute a breach of contract by landlord?
    thanks for your help.
    nelsonned
    You have heard that there are two sides to each story, and there may be three in this situation. But, based upon the info provided, you were given possession to move your things in early, and changing the lock does constitute a breach of contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord breach Of lease Agreement. My rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I moved in on Jan14th and in the 6mos lease a agreement we signed the landlord agreed to have the back yard put in within 90 days time. This a brand new house so the front yard is in but not the backyard yet. I just renewed another 6 os lease as of July 14 08 and with the same terms and conditions...

Landlord Breach of Lease [ 2 Answers ]

I live in NYS and signed a lease on 2/29/08 to rent an apartment on 4/18. The landlord called me on 4/1 to tell me that the apartment that I rented was not available anymore and they will not have another apartment available until 5/15 (4 full weeks after I was originally supposed to move). Under...

Breach of lease agreement on landlords side [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: We(me and my girlfriend) moved into a place in Hawaii that the landlord said that our dog would be allowed, we signed the lease aggrement stating that the number of occupents would be 2+1 pet. The day that we moved in the resident manager came to our door and told us that dogs were not...

Landlord rights in breach of lease [ 6 Answers ]

Under Georgia law, may a landlord charge a tenant that breaches the lease agreement Within the first three months of the agreement, the full year's rental price or the offset Amount of whenever a new tenant is procured?

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

View more questions Search