Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lthm Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Just broke up - What presents/memorabilia should be kept and which thrown out?
    Hi,

About a month ago my boyfriend of more than three years and I broke up. Having been with him for so long, I have a lot of presents from him, memorabilia such as photos and love letters (dorky, right?), and plenty of things that remind me of him. My question is:

Which do I keep and which do I throw out? I've heard it's better to get rid of all the things that remind you of your ex, or at least put them in a box and out of sight, but there are some that have so much meaning to me I just don't want to give them up-- namely, my promise ring (irony) and other jewelry, two stuffed animals (one of which we named together: The Indubitable Poot Dinkles... *sigh* no more silly things with him... ), and a watercolor I painted of his eyes. Yeah, it's pretty weird to have your ex staring at you from your wall, but I don't want to get rid of my artwork...

Any advice would be appreciated :)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Keep what you feel comfortable keeping, and throw out what you feel comfortable getting rid of. It's all up to you. Wil keeping these things around make it harder to get over him? If so, just put them away for a while. If you see them simply as good memories then keep them around. Why not?

Also, if you keep the ring, don't wear it. If you run into him and he sees you wearing it, it could be awkward. Just thought I'd share some personal experience.
    PraginOut Posts: 51, Reputation: 6
    -

Aug 1, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Out with the old, in with the new. Id bin it all.

Aug 1, 2008, 02:27 PM
    That would be awkward, I didn't think of that.. Thank you :) They are good memories, problem with that is then I start thinking I won't get to make any new ones with him and that's a really depressing thought.
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 02:29 PM
    Then put it all away for six months, and then once you are comfortable just bring out on thing at a time.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 02:30 PM
    I still kept most of the things my ex gave me... and I still actually wear it.. . I knew it'd be awkward, but... I just plain didn't care, I guess. Am I supposed to put a watch in a box and not wear it?

I kept everything else that's not of practical use (stuffed animals... mostly) in a box and just put them in my balcony closet.
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    I still kept most of the things my ex gave me...and I still actually wear it. ...I knew it'd be awkward, but...I just plain didn't care, I guess. Am I supposed to put a watch in a box and not wear it?

I kept everything else that's not of practical use (stuffed animals...mostly) in a box and just put them in my balcony closet.
    Yes, a ring and a watch are different. A watch is functional, a ring is just for aesthetics. And that particular ring holds special sentiment since it's a promise ring.

Aug 1, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Well technically it's a broken promise ring :] Thanks for the advice... I think I'll put away what I can (a lot of my clothing is from him too and I can't very well go without clothing) but that doesn't carry the same value/feelings/whatever... But ugh. It's my favorite ring... the only ring I've ever worn more than twice. >< Well, hopefully those emotions will fade with time and I can bring it out someday... if not, I can pawn it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Presents - $ preferred? [ 3 Answers ]

My fiance' and I have both been married before and really don't need or want anything in the way of Wedding gifts. My fiance' doesn't really even want to Register anywhere which is fine by me. We're having a very small wedding (relatives only, no bridal shower, etc.) and would like to say 'no...

Christmas presents [ 2 Answers ]

Every year. I have been buying my foster siblings' chidlren's presents. They never called to say thank you or buy any gifts for my children. When I come to visit my foster mother, they are nice to my children. However, I never send a christmas card to me as well. My foster mother is wonderful, she...

How do we avoid receiving presents we really don't want? [ 2 Answers ]

This Christmas is my son's first Christmas and I'm trying to figure out how to ask his grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. NOT to send him big presents (we have a small house), presents that require batteries and things that make a lot of noise. I'm know they will all want to get him something but...

Presents or not [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé and I both previously married. We are well past being "kids" that need things, and have enough stuff for several households. I feel that the invitations to our very informal wedding should indicate that presents are not necessary. My beloved, however, feels that there should be no...

Pt3 to how I get my Ex back presents; what not to do [ 3 Answers ]

Pt 3 to how I get my ex back presents; what not to do -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Well everybody who have read pt 2 of this saga knows about what's going on between me and my beautiful ex girlfreind, so here we go. Easter Sunday I get a...

View more questions Search