Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baincristina Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 04:17 AM
    Kids turned me into zoning board
    5 years ago panelled garage attached to house replaced doors with sliders made cool family room with kitchen using same electric and plumbing kids just got mad and called zoning board says we are in violation. Now what?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 04:24 AM
    You have to correct the problem by getting a permit and having the work done properly and then having the work inspected OR totally taking out all the "improvements" and having it back to being a garage. It's for your own safety to have the electrical done properly or you could have a house fire.
    baincristina Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 04:38 AM
    Did have eletrical permit bought it up to code and inspected
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Either the zoning board will approve the conversion, or they won't. If they do, you're good. If they don't, you will have to covert the space back into a garage. Where I live garage conversions are both common and illegal. Generally the city doesn't get involved, because it will need to be handled by the seller when they try and sell the place. Having to admit that your 3 bedroom/2 bath house is really only 2 bedrooms because of an illegal conviction and take the hit on the price tends to be the main punishment. But yes, if the zoning board has someone hounding them on the situation, they can make you return it to the original state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Zoning for basement [ 2 Answers ]

I was reading another post about cooling upstairs and downstairs efficiently. I had a few questions that I could not otherwise find the answer to. I finished my basement recently, so all the HVAC lines are run, and there is a register in each room, and 2 in the family room. I have my Central...

80's kids movie about a board game [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, There was a movie I saw when I was a kid, some time in the 80's. It was about this kid that breaks a window playing baseball and runs away (or rides away, if I remember correctly he had a bike for the run away). Anyhoo, he comes to a shack and hides in it. There was a guy there that he...

Do I need zoning control just to add a 2nd floor thermostat? [ 3 Answers ]

We have Dual Lennox Gas Furnaces (Paralleled) in our basement with a Honeywell TH8000 series Programmable Thermostat on the 1st floor. We have manually controlled dampers in the supply ducts to allow us to heat only the basement or only the 1st floor or heat both basement and 1st floor. Can I...

Residential zoning [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: Trying to help a friend make an offer on a home zoned "SFR" in Nashville TN - it already has a built-in "mother-in-law" apartment in the lower level with proper egress etc. Anyone have any experience in obtaining the proper permits to allow a single family (non-related to owner) to rent in...

Duct fans vs zoning? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I planned on zoning my basement from main home level to save energy cost and convenience of thermostat in basement. Recently, I found duct fans which increase air in ducts to room lacking. If I put duct fans in each duct(put on own breaker of course) can I tap into existing ducts and get...

View more questions Search