Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llamb Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Jul 31, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Are pet squirrels legal in Washington?
    That is basically the question. Just trying to find out if anyone knows if having a pet as a squirrel is legal or not in the state of Washington. Thanks!
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jul 31, 2008, 11:03 PM
    I can't really answer you, except that I can think of no state where squirrels are a protected species. Try the web site for Wash's Dept Natural Resources, or Fish and Game Commission.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by llamb
    That is basically the question. Just trying to find out if anyone knows if having a pet as a squirrel is legal or not in the state of Washington. Thanks!

Per the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife - there are no regulations to owning a squirrel (except for the two species I’ve listed below) BUT it is illegal to remove them from the wild.

Two species cannot be owned in Washington - the Eastern Grey squirrel (a nuisance species) and the Western Grey (a protected species).
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by WVHiflyer
    I can't really answer you, except that I can think of no state where squirrels are a protected species. Try the web site for Wash's Dept Natural Resources, or Fish and Game Commission.

In fact squirrels - various species - are protected in many States.

Other species are nuisance rodents.

Aug 1, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Thanks so much! Any idea how I would go about obtaining a squirrel then..
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Thanks so much!! Any idea how I would go about obtaining a squirrel then...?

Looks like you'd have to buy it out of State and find out what the shipping procedure is.

(Why do you want a pet squirrel? They tend to get nasty when they get older.)

Aug 1, 2008, 12:57 PM
    I just really like squirrels... and Sugar Bush the squirrel influenced me... hahaha.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 12:58 PM
    I just really like squirrels... and Sugar Bush the squirrel influenced me... hahaha.

Well, we all have our personal heroes.

Aug 1, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Hahahhahahahah. Damn right we do..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squirrels and pistachios [ 14 Answers ]

I have a smallish bag of unsalted, unshelled roasted pistachios. I've eaten the ones that were easy to open. Would the squirrels be strong enough to open the hard-to-open ones if I put them out in the back yard? (And do I feel stoopid asking this question?)

Squirrels getting into attic [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, we have squirrels getting into our attic. My husband has repaired their holes several times and they just chew a hole in another place in the eave of the house. They have chewed our phone line into. Now one has tried to chew their way into the ceiling of one of the guess bedrooms. We bought...

Squirrels in my attack [ 4 Answers ]

How do I get rid of squirrels in my attic? I know that they came in the side air vents and are nesting in there. What's the best way to get rid of them. I am OK with it if they die in the process.

How do I get rid of squirrels? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with squirrels. They have eaten my tomatoes, flowers, and carved pumpkins. I need a safe way that won't harm any other animals (my neighbor's dog is known to attack squirrels), so antifreeze is kind of out of the question. They even go into my garbage and rummage through that.

Watch out for squirrels [ 3 Answers ]

I feed the squirrels from a hanger in my backyard tree. When I refill the feeder the chiggers eat my legs with a vengeance even though I spray a lot of bug repellent on them. Where else can I put a squirel feeder where I can watch the little flea bags without making it easy for rats to get...

View more questions Search