Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    james alford Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Is he protected? Or can I seek justice? How?
    I made a verbal arrangement with one of my close friends to assume payments on an automobile. At the time he and his wife was going through a separation and he didn't want to keep the car. I was to continue to make the payments until the vehical was paid in full. At that time the title would be signed over to me, After three years in to the contract one Saturday I got a call to surrender the vehical cause he and his wife filed for bankrupty but kept all of there vehicals but surrendered the one that I was paying for I had only one year left before this vehical would have been paid in full. And to this day he hasn't done anything to make up for my loss. My question is what leagal rights should I seek? Is he protected to the point where I can't seek justice?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 03:51 PM
    If you wait until the bankruptcy is final, and I mean discharged, done, over, FINAL.

You could then file suit for the expense you incurred.

Not saying you would win, but you could sure try.

If you do this too soon, it will just be added to the BK, and you won't even have a chance.

You will need some kind of testimony as to this agreement to increase you chances of winning. Is there anyone willing to testify to having knowledge of the agreement?

If not, it will just be your word against his, and will be up to the judge to decide who is being the most truthful.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Well a couple of possible problems in some states any contract about a auto has to be in writing with certain notifications made, so a verbal contract on a car purcahse may or may not be upholdable in your state.

After that, it will be harder to prove a verbal agreement unless they are willing to admit it.

Next you could and should have challenged that bankruptcy notice to turn the car in, you should have made a claim as a secure debtor for that property.

Also if they included any debt to you in the bankrutpcy there is nothing you can then do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I seek revenge on my ex? [ 9 Answers ]

My ex dumped me for a bisexual girl and 2 weeks later I find out he was cheating on me with her. I want revenge so bad, but should I handle it that way? Or does anybody know any good ways to get him back?

Women Who Seek Revenge [ 1 Answers ]

I read a fiction book by a female author about a group of women who get together and basically get revenge on the husbands or men who have done them wrong. I think in the first book, the women get this trucker to haul the man's body and they cut his intimate organs off... I know it is a series of...

What Did Cain seek to Accomplish? [ 18 Answers ]

I really can't pin down what Cain felt he was accomplishing by killing Abel. God had rejected his sacrifice and Cain was angered. Killing Abel would not change that rejection into acceptance. In fact it would obviously increase the rejection since he was warned before he killed Cain to change his...

How to seek the market for Rebar Cutter? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,everyone!I'm maker of rebar cutter(construction tool),how to find a market for it.Thanks in advance.:mad: www.cndingli.com

View more questions Search