Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SmoresMomma Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 09:23 PM
    I rescued an abused puppy and need assistance
    Good day,

Sunday afternoon I rescued (my terms) a mini aussie from a breeder who in my opinion treated the puppies horribly. After 4-5+ hours of lots of love and affection. My 9 month old new puppy finally was able to take a few steps. I'm almost certain this animal was locked in a small kennel with his litter mates. I met the breeder in a parking lot due to being a lengthy drive for the both of us. The puppy was covered in vomit and foam.

Anyway I've had the dog for roughly 36 hours now and I have to coax him into eating; but he only eats a few bits of food. (Purina puppy chow). I also have to coax him into drinking. I take S'mores on easily 10-12 walks every day (my boyfriend and I both do). We've taken him off the leash so he can move about freely, and stretch his legs. But all he does is sit by us and cower. He hasn't gone potty in the house either. But he does "tinkle" a tad when he gets nervous or scared.

I know the change of environment alone was probably very stressful on him. She gave him his shots/worming medicine before the drive to meet me. I'm almost afraid to take him to the vet right away. I don't want him to stress anymore.

Any ideas on how I can continue to lets this adorable creature know I am his friend and I have no intent on harming or mistreating him? I can use all the help I can get. This is my first "small dog". I have lots of experience with working with golden retrievers. I have also heard that smaller dogs stress out easier. Anyone have any clear cut do's and don'ts? The internet seems to be filled with contradicting information.

Thank you in advance.
    KissMe10der Posts: 306, Reputation: 22

Jul 28, 2008, 09:44 PM
    If you think this animal has been abused, you need to do all those puppies they are breeding a favor and REPORT THEM!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 07:47 AM
    I know that you don't want to stress the dog out more, but you really need to get it checked by a vet to see if there are deeper underlying issues. Also, how long are the walks? That seems like too much for a young dog, but it depends on how you define the term.
    SmoresMomma Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    I know that you don't want to stress the dog out more, but you really need to get it checked by a vet to see if there are deeper underlying issues. Also, how long are the walks? That seems like too much for a young dog, but it depends on how you define the term.

The walks range between 20-30 minutes. And I've scheduled an appointment for this Saturday for the vet. He finally urinated on some papers last night. Which was serious relief for us. Now if we can just get him to go to poop. He is becoming more vocal as well this morning. So I think he is beginning to really come out of his shell. I'm also noticing that he is walking around more on his own without being coaxed.

As far as reporting the breeder. I already did. I did that Monday Morning.

Thanks for your responses =) I really appreciate them.

Now I'm looking for tips on small dogs. Are they treated differently than big dogs? Is it true they stress easier than big dogs?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My rescued Lab. [ 3 Answers ]

About 6 months ago I rescued an 18 month old male Lab from a family that didn't want him. The dog came from an Amish breeder in Indiana known for supplying puppies to Chicago area pet shops. This family bought him from a pet shop when he was 12 weeks old. As he began to get big the family had two...

I rescued puppies but they have a lot fleas [ 25 Answers ]

I found 2 puppy that are about 1 week old (their eyes aren't even opened) and they have a flea problem, I know they are to young to use anu frontline or stuff like that but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions (like a home remedy kind of thing) thanks

Two rescued puppies are dehydrated. [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, I know this doesn't go here but I didn't know where else to put it so... I rescued two doberman puppies from a puppymill a week and a half ago... they are now 18 days old... when they were 12 days old, I took them to the vet to get dewormed and to have an exam done on both puppies. They...

Rescued 2 puppies -- won't poop outside [ 2 Answers ]

I know there has been much discussion about "crate-training" puppies, but my situation is a little different than what I've read so far. I just rescued two 5 month old puppies who had been crated 21 HOURS/DAY!! I don't believe that they even KNOW to poop outside and I don't know what to do. I...

Just rescued a german shepard! [ 11 Answers ]

I just saved a dog from someone who did not take care of him properly. He was killing their chickens and so they stuck him in a cage for god knows how long! He has scars and scabs on his head from hitting the top of the cage when he was jumping up in there. He is a 2 year old full blooded German...

View more questions Search