Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slh6582 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Cost of plant assets
    I need a little help on a homework problem... we are learning how to journalize the cost of plant assets... I don't have my book in front of me so I'm going to make up some numbers... Say a machine is bought on Jan 1, 2006 with a cash value of 25,000. Related Expendiutres include sales tax for 5,000, shipping cost for 1,000, and 500 worth of oil and lubricates to be used with the machine during its first year of operation. The directions require me to journalize the purchase of the machine on jan. 1, 2006. Now my question is what do I do to record the oil and lubricate.. I don't think it is included with the cost of machinery.

Is this right
    DR Factory Machinery 31,000
    CR Cash 31,000

Or is this right
    DR Factory Machinery 31,000
    DR Oil Expense 500
    CR Cash 31,500
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 05:34 PM

Debit Machinery for the Cost of Machinery plus any costs used to receive the machinery, intall it and to get it operation.
    Credit the appropriate accounts like cash or accounts payable.

Debit Oil and Lubricant Expense for 500
    Credit Cash (if paid by cash) or Accounts Payable (if on account) for 500

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Return on plant assets [ 1 Answers ]

Chester company has a defined benefit plan. THE FAIR VALUE OF PLAN ASSETS ON JAN. 1,2002, WAS $1,500,000. No unrecognized net loss or gain existed. On dec,31, 2002 the fair value of the plan assets was $1,860,000. Benefits paid to retirees equaled $300,000. Company contributions to the plan totaled...

Determining Cost of Plant Assets [ 2 Answers ]

Please don't think I don't know this stuff because up to this point I have done very well. My teacher sucks at explaining this stuff and it is hard for me to self-teach myself stuff that is completely foreign to me. The examples in the book are good, but then when I try to relate it back to the...

View more questions Search