Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cales Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Biological Father not there
    My ex has not seen nor spoke to my chilren in about 1 yr. I believe it would be best if he would relinquish all rights because my husband wants to adopt them. Has he abandoned them? My children are 3 and 19 months, their biological father has not seen them in nearly a year, we recently went to court to start the custody and support hearings and he asked if he could see them. I informed him that my kids don't know who he is. I got married 1 year ago and my husband has been the only father my kids know, they call him daddy and the last time their biological father came over they were in histerics because he wanted to take them and they didn't know who he was. My children's biological father and I were never married but his name is on their birth certificates. While in court he asked for a paternity test to prove that they were his. All I want is what is best for my children and having someone pop in and out of their lives whenever he wants is not what is best. What can I do and how do I go about doing it? Thank You.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cales
    My ex has not seen nor spoke to my chilren in about 1 yr. I believe it would be best if he would relinquish all rights bc my husband wants to adopt them. Has he abandoned them? My children are 3 and 19 months, thier biological father has not seen them in nearly a year, we recently went to court to start the custody and support hearings and he asked if he could see them. I informed him that my kids dont know who he is. I got married 1 year ago and my husband has been the only father my kids know, they call him daddy and the last time thier biological father came over they were in histerics bc he wanted to take them and they didnt know who he was. My childrens biological father and I were never married but his name is on their birth certificates. While in court he asked for a paternity test to prove that they were his. All I want is what is best for my children and having someone pop in and out of their lives whenever he wants is not what is best. What can I do and how do I go about doing it? Thank You.

He is their father and you cannot remove his legal rights to visit and support them (which are not connected to each other) without his consent UNLESS he has pretty much left them on a street corner without supervision or is a danger to them.

If your children don't know him you would request supervised visitation.

I'm afraid taking him to court for support and custody may have opened up this whole can of worms but, on the other hand, he is supposed to be supporting his children.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Have you received any support payment? Even a single penny in the last year? The best thing would be to request supervised visits with their father until they get to know him (judges usually order this for three to six months). If your husband wants to adopt you can ask their bio dad if he will relinquish his rights but you can't take them from him is up to him and a judge.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 11:04 AM
    I am sorry, but no, unless he is willing to sign over his rights to allow your new husband to adopt, it is not going to happen.

In fact if he wants visits, he will get it. You may limit him to supervised visits for the first couple months but he will get visits. The best you can do is get a proper child support

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a father loose custidy if his not the biological father? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a 5 year old with son with a girl he had a thing with. She loved him and therefor she got pregnant and told him the child was his. She put him trough the ringer cause she wanted to be with and she realized he was never going to be with her she signed her rights to the child away. Her...

Biological Father [ 1 Answers ]

Aloha, I am trying to help my boyfriend locate his biological father. His name is Roger James Poteat I believe he may be 70 or 71 years old. He was in the navy at the time my boyfriend was born which was Feb. 15,1968 and stationed in Albuquerque,NM, I believe he is originally from Philadelphia,...

Looking for my Biological Father [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know what I have to do to find my father.

Adoption from biological Father to Step Father [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: One of my employees has children by her now husband and former husband. Her present husband wants to adopt her two children from her former husband. The biological Father is willing to relinquish his rights. She wants to draw up the papers without an Attorney because of the cost. If...

My Biological Father [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find my biological father... all I know is his name is Thomas Anthony Snowden and he lives in Maryland somewhere, he also has a son named after him. That's pretty much all I know. I don't know what website to go to actually look for him because they keep asking for so much money... if...

View more questions Search