Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StrongButInLove Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Minimize expences
    Hi Everyone. I recently got a new job and relocated to Minnesota. I found a great house to rent, but it is a little big. It is 3 storys. The main level contains my room, bathroom, living room and kitchen. The basement contains 2 rooms (that are unused) and a laundry room. The upstairs contains 2 bedrooms and a bathroom (mostly used for company). I am thinking that if I place a door that leads to the basement, this will really help with heating and cooling costs, but I only rent this place. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to minimize my heating and air conditioning bill that may not cost as much as a new door? Is the door instalation something that I could ask my landlord to purchase? Thanks for any suggestions!
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 11:01 AM
    What kind of heat do you have? (furnace,(gas or electric or oil) hot water boiler , you won`t want to completely stop all heat from the basement,for fear of plumbing freezing in the winter,
    StrongButInLove Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2008, 11:33 AM
    I have a gas furnace. I have heard that there are magnetic vent covers that can be placed over the vents in the basement and spare room upstairs. Could these cause the plumbing to freeze even if the main floor is kept at a comfortable tempurature? Any other suggestions?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Its really a guessing game,, yes you can sometimes close some vents off,but not all /many,it may cause the furnace to over heat . If you have 4 vents upstairs you can close off one at a time and see if all works OK, for couple days than maybe one more, the same with the basement,, the system was designed for so much air flow and is necessary to stay close to what set up for, as for the basement you might find you are walking around on cold floors when no heat is in basement

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does too much sunscreen minimize tanning? [ 1 Answers ]

I wear sunscreen. But when my friends and I went to to the beach they started just slathering it on their skin. Putting on just wayyy too much. When I asked them why, one of my friends said it's because it minimizes tanning. Is that true?

401k - minimize taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have limited knowledge on 401(k) and have ben reading many articles on the net. I need advice on how to withdraw the amount from my 401(k) with minimum tax/penalty. I am 30 years old. I worked in US from 2002 - 2006 and invested in 401k. My company also contributed and this grew to...

Best way to minimize tax on a L1 visa [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I am faced with a big dilemma and I would appreciate any kind of help. I am an Australian citizen and I have been offered a L1B Visa (inter company transfer) for one year to work in OH in 2008. Now the dilemma is that I need to structure my pay to minimize the US tax that I pay. The...

IRS Schedule E Common Expences [ 4 Answers ]

If one has say 10 rental buildings and you use one car to service all the properties then how can I avoid entering into Turtotax my auto information 10 times? The auto is a common expence across all the properties.

Epsxe suddenly minimize and no display after restore [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. When I want to play ps game on epsxe, after sometime it will suddenly minimize itself. When I restore it there is no display on my epsxe except sound only.:( Can anyone help me?:confused:

View more questions Search