Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    healthmgr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2004, 11:07 AM
    93 accord... timing belt... you geussed it!!
    I have a 93 Honda Accord ex. I am replacing a "broken" timiing belt. Everything is off except for harmonic balancer pulley bolt. I have heard that when a belt breaks there is more to do than simply follow the manual to install new belt. I am 95% sure the head is not damaged. My main question is: What needs to be done to align things back up to install belt correctly? If too long of answer maybe a site that would help? M?? any thanks..?
    Squelchwex Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2004, 07:03 AM
    Re: 93 accord... timing belt... you geussed it!!
    Hi there's a company called Haynes that do an idiot proof owners workshop manual for all types of car its easy to follow step by step instructions are great,don't tell everyone but in the trade we use it a lot you will find Haynes on the internet or there address is
    Haynes Publishing
    Sparkford Nr Yeovil
    Somerset BA22 7JJ
    England
    There is an American address but I don't know it sorry
    Hope this helps.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2004, 09:52 AM
    It is very important to line up the cam or cams and the crankshaft correctly when installing the new belt. Usually they are marked with a groove or hole that you line up with each other. You can check by removing the #1 spark plug and turning the engine until the piston is at the top. The mark on the crankshaft should be at the top or the timing pointer. The intake valve cam lobe should be well past where it was open, and the exhaust valve not ready to open.

A good book will show this exactly plus have additional information most of us need. Frankly, the common Chilton manuals are entirely lacking the detail you may need, and I don't thing the Haynes are much better. I like the real shop manuals. New they are very expensive. You may be able to find a used one at www.factorymanuals.com or Ebay for about what you would pay for one of the other books at the parts store. Many libraries have sets of manuals too, but usually the Chiltons.
    healthmgr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2004, 05:52 PM
    Thanks for the info.on lining up cam and crank. I did what you said and put timing belt on and started. (to check engine) engine ran rough... although I said I was 95% sure engine was OK... now I'm about 95% sure it is not OK... I pulled spark plug wires one by one on all cylinders... one had no effect at all so I did a compression check on all cylinders... all had good compression but one (same one)... it had nothing... I assume this means the valve is shot on this cylinder and I need to either remove head and repair or pull engine and replace with used one. What do you think??
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2004, 07:33 PM
    Aruuuuuuuuuuuuugh. Might try some upper cylinder lube such as Marvel Mystery Oil, Auto Rx, etc. hoping to free a stuck valve. Likely that is grasping at straws and you will need mechanical repairs. You might take the cam cover off and look for any obvious problems seeing if the valve will move like it should.
    civic racer 94 Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Mar 30, 2005, 02:46 AM
    U should be OK the f22 (90-93 2.2 )is not a valve bender motor I just done my timming belt yesterday on my prelude (same motor ) its very ez (a little hard to get to ) but just make sure when you put it back on that your timming marks are dead on... also when you get the belt on don't put the cover on just yet turn the motor over 2 or 3 times (by hand ) then check your marks again.cuzz if you get slack in it it will get it back out of time. Hope you get it is you run in to something.. u can get me at [email protected]
    hobieslug45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2012, 11:20 PM
    Zero compression on one cyl. Yeah you bent a valve. Check the valve clearance on that cylinder to see if its an exhaust or intake. Your probably going to have to do a valve job. ( if the head surface is true don't have it resurfaced . If your going to do the job yourself buy a HELMS inc. service manual. Not a Haynes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 Honda Accord - water pump/timing belt [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone ever replaced these in this car? I was hoping to get a detailed "how to" on this repair. I've worked on cars before (94 Maxima, 96 Integra, 98 Explorer) and usually I have done it through "how to's" that I have found online. Can someone send me a detailed how to on this repair,...

Timing belt on a Civic 91 - beat this! [ 4 Answers ]

I just found out my Dad nor my brother ever changed a timing belt on my Honda Civic 91 DX (well, I call it "my honda", but I just got it from my brother about 2 weeks ago), and right now the car has a bit over 145k miles on it! I'm afraid to start the car now. By the way, how much do you guys...

Civic timing belt [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a student with no cash. I've got a 90 Civic Si with 188,000 miles and I know the timing belt needs to be replaced but I can't afford it. Does any one know if this model is interference type or a freewheeling type, or how I can find out. I'm not that worried about getting stranded if it...

Honda Accord 92 timing belt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I bought Honda Accord 92 from Carmax at 68,000 miles. It is now 102,000 miles. Is the timing belt due at this time. I am not sure if the previous owner changed the timing belt or not. Thanks Jay

Timing belt [ 1 Answers ]

I think it may be my timing belt. I have a 92 honda accord ex. The other day I was driving home and my yellow light came on, I looked it up in my manual and it said it was an emission light. But the car continued to run OK. So I drove it home, about 20 miles and it ran fine. The other day I...

View more questions Search