Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    incognito4 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 05:23 AM
    Is it polycystic ovarian syndrome?
    Hello, I haven't been exactly diagnosed with PCOS but I think I may have it. I say this because I have most of the symptoms. It all began when I became pregnant in 2001 and broke out with servere acne and started having this unusual hair growth on my neck. Prior to the pregnancy I didn't have acne and I wasn't that hairy. Well sadly I decided to abort my baby because I was 17 yrs old and felt it was the best decision for me at that time, and I thought the acne and hair will go away there after. However, it didn't as time progressed and even until now, the acne became worse and is leaving dark spots all over my face. The hair growth is out of control and is also leaving spots everywhere the hair is growing (neck, chest, and breast) because I am prone to ingrown hairs and unfortunately I have bad habit of trying to pull the hair out. I have also gained a significant amount of weight (but I know I've contributed to this), my cycle is irregular, and lastly I have been with my fiancé for 31/2 years and have not gotten pregnant. I'm not trying but we're not using any type of contraception either and this is beginning to worry me. When I had insurance I seen a couple of doctors but I honestly feel they were a waste of time. They didn't answer any of questions esp. about me not be able to become pregnant and I had been previously. All they say is maybe it's not time. My finance had his sperm count checked and was told they're swimming fine, so it must be me... This issue has really affected me and caused me to be depressed and insecure, can anyone offer any advice that the so called doctors couldn't? Is there anything I can do at home and sort of treat myself? Thanks.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 05:37 AM
    It sounds like a hormonal imbalance since it began during your pregnancy. I would contact an endocronologist to check your hormone levels. Sorry I do not believe that you can trest this problem at home. If it were to be pcos, I highly doubt it since symptoms began during pregnancy, you woud need to change your diet comletly. Live as if you are diabetic and increase you activity level, i.e. excersise. That is the only natural way I know to help pcos.

Jul 27, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Thank you danielnoahsmommy.
    april k Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Aug 11, 2008, 10:16 PM
    The cause of the issues you're describing is probably at least insulin resistance, which means that your body is not as sensitive to your insulin as it should be. As someone else has already said, the best way to deal with it would be to eat like you're a diabetic (and not like an ADA diabetic, you need to think more low carb than that, maybe South Beach diet or something similar).

It could be PCOS too. You'd look at blood work like high testosterone and DHEA, cysts on your ovaries as well as the symptoms like acne, weight gain, not conceiving... there are some nice websites you can look at to help you decide if you do have PCOS or just some insulin resistance. One is http://www.pcos.insulitelabs.com/PCOS-an and another very informative site is the PCOSA website for the US PCOS association,

Also, you'll have to make sure you're exercising! Toned muscles help your body handle blood sugar better by helping you be less insulin resistant.

Aug 11, 2008, 10:29 PM
    Thank you April K!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.do I have it? [ 23 Answers ]

Hi, I've been researching about FCOS, and I have a few symptoms... :( I believe I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome because my period is not exactly normal. Recently I've started working side by side my Mother every single day, and when she has her period, I have mine also, but mine always lasts at...

I do have polycystic ovarian disease [ 3 Answers ]

So I do have "pcod" I found out today and I am a little upset, OK... a lot upset if any of you know a good place to find information about this disease please let me know, or if you have it or know about it PLEASE leave me some input... Thank you and god bless

Poly cystic ovarian syndrome [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone my name is Judith Grissam my husband and I have been trying to conceive for over a year now I have poly cystic ovarian syndrome and I was wondering if anybody out there has any information that could help us we would greatly appreciate anything. So far we have tried almost everything...

Polycystic ovarian diseas or hypothyroidism? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everyone its been awhile since I posted... But the doctors think they have what is wrong with me figured out, but the only problem is I have know idea what either of them are!! If anyone could explain polycystic ovarian disease and hypothyroidisim are I would very much apprecate it! And...

Polycystic ovary syndrome [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone have any experiences with this?? I just found out I had this and I'm really scared. Will I still be able to get pregnant?

View more questions Search