Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CycloneGriff Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Aircondition not running and funace not on
    Hi All,

I came home today and the I discovered the air conditioner is not working. The symptoms are that the furnace indicator lights are not on which might indicate the furnace is not getting power. The blower does not turn on when the thermostat is sending a signal. Also, the outdoor AC unit is not turning on when the thermostat is sending a signal. What is the best explanation for this problem, possibly something wrong with the furnace circuit board, or maybe a wiring problem. Would the power loss at the furnace cause the outdoor AC unit to not turn on?

Thanks for your help in advance

CycloneGriff
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Would the power loss at the furnace cause the outdoor AC unit to not turn on?

((yes it would)),
    Did you check for kicked breaker or fuse to you furnace,the furnace has to have power in order to have the low voltage that turns your a/c on,, check breaker and let us know,, (the right way to check breaker is to turn completely off and then back on)
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Also,, some circuit boards have a plug-in automotive type fuse in them you might want to look for that also, could be blown

Jul 23, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop
    Would the power loss at the furnace cause the outdoor AC unit to not turn on?

((yes it would)),
    did you check for kicked breaker or fuse to you furnace,the furnace has to have power in order to have the low voltage that turns your a/c on,,,,,check breaker and let us know,,,,,,,,(the right way to check breaker is to turn completely off and then back on)
    I did check the breaker, at least the ones that said furnace and AC. They were at the on position and I toggled them to off and then back to on. All the rest of the breakers were on. This did not fix the problem. Is there another fuse or breaker that is built into the furnace? I can't seem to find one. Model is Lennox G40UH(X) if that helps. If there is no fuse built into the furnace I don't know what else to check besides start measuring voltages and I think it would be safe to leave this to the technician.

Thank you for your help

Jul 23, 2008, 09:12 PM
    also,,,some circuit boards have a plug-in automotive type fuse in them you might want to look for that also,,could be blown
    Ah yes, there is a fuse on the circuit board and it appears to be blown. Any idea on how to get a new one?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 09:13 PM
    A man has got to know his limitiations. If there is something you aren't comfortable with, have someone with knowledge and experience take care of it for you. But observe, ask questions and learn from the experience. The more you can learn, the less money you will burn.

Jul 23, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Looks like I need a new 3 Amp blade fuse. Radioshack / Home Depot here I come. I wonder why the fuse blew though.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Could be a problem somewhere,, could be just a power surge caused it, have there been any electrical storms lately?

Jul 23, 2008, 09:32 PM
    could be a problem somewhere,,,,,,could be just a power surge caused it,,have there been any electrical storms lately?
    There were some storms today, don't know to what extent. What a dirty filter cause the unit to draw more current?
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Although it is important to keep a clean filter,at all times,check them even more often if you have indoor pets,most like a fluke electrical prob. Get you a few extra fuses and keep them on hand,, the fuse is there to protect you circuit board, be glad it did its job

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daikin Aircondition [ 1 Answers ]

I have purchased 10 Daikin Aircondition Units October last year. Unfortunately, 2 Units stopped working on May 20 of this year for unknown reason! I have contacted the Distributer almost a month ago to come and fixed them. He did not show up yet, and I called him this morning and questioned why he...

My car aircondition [ 1 Answers ]

I have '93/94 Mit galant that the a/c refused to get cool but fan. What do I do to fix it.

Current Limit for funace accessories [ 1 Answers ]

I've got an Air Ease furnace Mfg by Lennox. P/N G1D91Au. I've already connected a humidifier to the 120V HUM terminals on the blower control board. Also, I would like to add a couple of duct boost fans and wire to the blower control board. I could use the 120 V terminals for the Electronic Air...

Funace stops kicking on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am having problems with my furnace. It is a Pulse and is only about 7 or 8 years old. The problem is, is that it works for a while and then it will NOT kick on again. If you turn the power off at the thermostate it will come back on and will work again anywhere from 4 to 10 hours before it...

Goodman gas funace pressure switch problem [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Goodman 93% efficient furnace that short cycles the gas burners. It cycles the vent on, starts the igniter, fires the burners and kicks on the blower but the burners only stay on for a short time ( less than 30 seconds). The led on the circuit board gives me 3 flashes indicating " pressure...

View more questions Search