Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slavik0627 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Russia-OPT-H1B- treaty for taxes
    Hello,
    I'm a Russian citizen. I've been in the US for almost 8 years. I've got a F1 status from 11.19.2003 till now. At this year, May 2008, I graduated from the University and got my OPT from June 1, 2008 for one year. At the same time, I've been approved for the H1B visa from October 1, 2008. I am about to start work for the NYC company at August 12, 2008. So with all this information could you please tell me that in case of tax treaty can I apply for any and how? Am I eligible for them at all in situation that I’m going to hold OPT for 1.5 month and working visa for 3 month during the year? The info at the IRS web site is too broad; I just want to have someone who could answer me in person, please. Thank you for your help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Every one F1 or OPT is exempt from residency for 5-years. You have already completed 5-years so during 2008, your days in the U.S. will be counted towards residency.
    For 2008, you will file resident tax return. Even your OPT income (and also H1-B income) is subject to Social security and Medicare taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1 working in Russia - Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I have been working in Russia, but I am an Egyptian national. I am employed by a Russian company, but I am paid my salary partially by this Russian entity, and partially by the US parent company. I pay the Russian taxes on the money paid in Russia, and the other part had been...

Taxes, optional training and tax exempt treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm getting a little confused with taxes... My situation: I was in optional training for the whole 2006 year. I'm from Spain and I have an exempt taxes treaty. I didn't leave the country for more than a year. And I worked in several jobs. So I understand that since I didn't leave,...

NY Taxes, with OPT and tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Could you please help me... I had F1 Visa and OPT in 2006 and I filed Tax Return for IRS 1040 NR with Tax treaty. I will expect to receive my withheld taxes back from Federal. I worked in NY State for the whole year 2006. And NYS taxes were withheld from me. Shell I file NY State Return...

USA/Italy treaty for taxes?. [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Italian passport, and I am now working as an opera singer with a O1 VISA for a couple of months in a major Opera Company in USA. Two questions: What's the roof of gross earnings for not being taxed when they will pay me at the end of the gig? I just got the "allowance" cheque for...

Valid F1 status but resident (for taxes), country treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in NY state originally from INDIA. I have a valid F1 visa. But this will be my 6th tax year in USA and I guess I am a resident for tax purposes. Because of my F1 status, I paid Social security and medicare only during the summer months. Rest of the year it is just regular...

View more questions Search