Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Apr 5, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Static ip address?
    A client has DSL and wants to connect their home PC to their work computer so that they both have the same e-mail address, an I.T. guy at my work says they then would need a static ip address. What does that do? :confused:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 01:24 PM
    A static IP address can be obtained from the ISP, and may be needed... but don't jump yet.

If the only goal is to have an email address go to both/either computer, then it may be as simple as setting up the email address on the home computer. Has your friend already confirmed that this is not possible?

... or am I misunderstanding the question?

Apr 5, 2006, 01:28 PM
    I guess because he is setting up DSL at home now, and wants to be connected to his work computer so that when someone e-mails him, it is just one address that they use, not two different ones. Is that what a static ip address is used for? I guess maybe I am confused on what a static ip address is... I looked up the def. on Google and that just confused me even more??

Apr 5, 2006, 01:32 PM
    This is the definition I got: A fixed Internet Protocol (IP) address that is the same for a network device every time it's used. In the case of the MC-i200, you can enter a fixed IP address if your ISP requires it. You also need to enter a gateway address and DNS addresses.

What the heck does that mean??

I know on outlook express you can adjust your settings so that the mail server stores your mail on the server... or whatever... but how do you have the same e-mail address for both home and work?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Separate "connecting computers" from email issues. If you want to "connect the computers" that's one thing. If he just wants to be able to get emails that are sent to his work email address, that's another.

Is it right that all he wants to do is be able to get email (sent to the one email address) from either location?

Apr 5, 2006, 01:37 PM
    I don't know, I guess I will have to clarify that with him. He is a chiropracter that owns his own business and I think that he wants them connected altogether, but I guess I had better make sure.
    But, can you tell me exactly what a static ip address is, in laymans terms? And how does it work?
    How does one "connect the computers?
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 5, 2006, 01:43 PM
    Often work bosses,may not allow you to connect to your home PC "direct" due to security factors.Also if they do say yes (or you are the boss),then you will need at least Remote Desktop,which is only available from XP Pro,and not XP Home.You will have to contact your service provider,and tell them what you want to do.You can register your ip address,not as "a set of numbers" of course,but as a domain name,i.e. myhomeaccount or such.So in other words,the home PC,and work PC address is the same.God,where's Curly,or Scott when you need them?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 5, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgirl
    an I.T. guy at my work says they then would need a static ip address.
    OK so this giuy really knows what he's talking about... NOT.
    No offence meant, but you work in DSL sales and I bet a static IP address is an extra cost option, so this "IT Guy" is just trying to up the bill.

There is no need for it at all.
    What you need to find out is about the customers e-mail provider for his work e-mail.
    If it's his own company then he more than likely has an external provider, in which case it's simply a matter of putting all the correct connection information into his mail client.

So say his address is "[email protected]" then you just need to ensure that both mail client have the correct POP3 and SMTP information in them. Also you need to make sure that they are set NOT to remove the mail from the server once it is downloaded, otherwise once he has connected on his work machine he will not be able to pick up the same mail on the home box.

If on the other hand he runs hs own mail server then you are talking a different, and potentially more difficult, matter.

Hope this makes some sense.
    Sorry for the long sentences but my brain goes faster then my punctuation finger ;)

Apr 5, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Thank you for the clarification, I think I am finally beginning to understand now :)
    BossMan

Apr 5, 2006, 01:55 PM
    To follow on from Nez's excellent points;
    What he is talking about id DNS (Domain Name Service) the conversion of 1.2.3.4 to www.whatever.com. This normaly requires a static IP address, as AMHD has, but it isn't needed for a small/home connection as there are a number of services that can be used to router dynamic address to a set name.

Have a look at www.NOIP.com for more info.

There are also a number of service that allow for remote connection/control of another machine via dynamic DSL connections, look at www.logmein.com
    Now we have probably confused you even more.

Apr 5, 2006, 01:58 PM
    I think I am getting it now. Thanks. I just hate asking the I.T. guys what this stuff means because they are so technical and I am usually lost. Thanks for your help :)
    BossMan

Apr 5, 2006, 02:12 PM
    Cgirl, you so need to check out How stuff works, throw what you want to know in the search box and Bingo.
    This is a good place to start to give you an easy to understand view on what you need.
    For example, here is How DSL works.

Apr 5, 2006, 02:15 PM
    Yea, I use that website a lot but I just didn't get how a static ip address would work in this particular situation, but I guess I am somewhat understanding that now. Hehe, it seems that I have a lot to learn when it comes to computer terminology, It is confusing stuff!
    BossMan

Apr 5, 2006, 02:24 PM
    LOL, that's because in this case it isn't really needed.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 5, 2006, 03:36 PM
    Thanks Curly my old mucker.Glad you explained that.I was getting ready to watch Life on Mars (BBC4-10PM),and read a bedtime story to my son,and answer a question... and put dishes in the dishwasher... and... grrr... :D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 5, 2006, 06:04 PM
    Frankly, I would go back to that IT guy and ask why he gave you such bum info.

To clarify a bit, whenever a computer connects to a network or the Internet they have to have an IP address that identifies them on the network. In most cases, the entity that assigns that address (either a server on a LAN or the ISP, uses DHCP to assign an available address to the PC. This is a dynamic address as it can change each time they connect.

A computer can be assigned a specific (or static) IP that never changes. ISPs generally charge more for static IPS because they loss their availability if the computer is offline. Static IPS are usually assigned to servers that will remain online all the time.

But sharing an E-mail address has NOTHING to do IPs. When someone sends an e-mail it goes first to the mail server of the e-mail service. From there, its retrieved by the recipient using an E-mail client. That e-mail client can be run from ANY PC just by adding an account for that address to the client. Most clients allow you to set it so that mail is left on the server for several days so you can retrieve onto multiple machines. Or, if the person uses WEB based mail, all they need to do is log into the WEB site from whatever PC.

So IP address just has nothing to do with where one retrieves or sends e-mail.

Apr 6, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Thank You guys, I get it now. I think I was the one confused though, not the I.T. guy, because he does want his pc's connected entirely which would require a static ip address. I guess I just assumed that by needing a static ip address, that was what he was talking about, connecting the e-mail accounts. I guess that shows you I have a lot to learn about computer terms! :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 6, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgirl
    Thank You guys, I get it now. I think I was the one confused though, not the I.T. guy, because he does want his pc's connected entirely which would require a static ip address. I guess I just assumed that by needing a static ip address, that was what he was talking about, connecting the e-mail accounts. I guess that shows you I have a lot to learn about computer terms! :)
    Well now, that brings up other issues. WHY does he want the PCs connected? The reason why would determine if he needs a static IP or not.

Apr 6, 2006, 11:51 AM
    I will have to find that out, I cannot get a hold of the client right now, but when I do, I will let you know what they mean by that! Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing Dynamic IP address to Static... [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My question may seem very strange, but I've heard from a friend that I can change my Dynamic IP address assigned to me from ISP to Static without paying extra charges to the company. Is this possible ? Greetings,

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

Static air pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Is there only one way of measuring static air pressure? The age-old method of having a collapsable box with a certain volume and pressure? Or is there another way?

View more questions Search