Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hannah_nicole Posts: 163, Reputation: 13

Jul 21, 2008, 07:56 PM
    How do I stop pressuring my boyfriend for sex?
    Hi Im new here, 19 and my boyfriend is 28. We have been together a year, live together, love each other tremendously & I have no reason to doubt I can trust him. Problem is, me being younger, I crave sex more than him & get really angry with him if he rejects me (he likes to be the initiator) I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me in not getting on his case when he's not in the mood, & saying no when he is (hed want it more if he couldn't get it) I don't like to say no as I feel like I'm missing out any ideas?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 09:53 PM
    don't assume its your age difference. There are men and women here in their 40's whose drive is as strong as ever... and some in their young 20's who have little to no libido.

and ill never understand the issue with a man needing to always be the initiator. There's nothing more sexy than a woman who will put you to the wall for what she demands. I'm fine with initiating, but I don't need to drive it to get into the moment. But diff strokes for diff folks I guess.

how is his health and his stress level? Does he exercise much? In good health? Drink much? Get good sleep? Stress tied to work? Money? Other issues? Any meds? Any chance he's self stimulating too much? Have things always been like this?

my short answer, which is never short, is there are two issues here. Your needs are not being met and he has control.

now... my partner is a "morning girl" and I love sex at night. So we compromise... meaning I have sex in the morning now. =) kidding... sort of...

my drive is higher than hers, and I don't always get it when I'm most amped... but she also understands when I push the issue I'm not trying to pester her. And if I "settle" for a few minutes of sensual touch at night, shell make it worth it the next morning... so while my desires aren't always perfectly met... there really is middle ground.

that only comes through communication and a real desire for both partners to give and take some. I don't go ballistic when my partner is too tired because I know at best shed just be "servicing" me. On rare occasions, that's good enough. Most of the time id rather have her locked in and engaged... not hoping it ends soon so she can sleep. And, as I said, she knows when I'm climbing the walls its because I want to be with her, connect with her... if getting the big O was all it was about I can take care of that myself.

so... what to do? First answer the questions I asked.

there's no substitute for good conversation and one way to do this is to share books. Browse a bookstore and find a good book about massage or sensual touch. Read it. Mark it. Highlight it. Dogear it. Whatever. Then pass it to him. If he has half a clue and any desire to please you, he will read it... especially the parts you like and have marked.

my partner did this with one of my fav books, She Comes First... id read many others before this, but it was one of the first ones we shared in succession. Knowing there were parts that interested her intrigued me... and I mention it a lot because its an easy read and an easy share. The follow up is He Comes Next. Both by ian kerner.

so find something interesting to browse through and then pass it on. Again... if he has half a clue he will be trying out whatever you desire by your markings.

also... try catching him at unexpected times. If I wake up at 3am and go down on my lover to wake her up she's always been very receptive. If my lover is waiting for me as I step out of the shower to put lotion over my body, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

maybe this won't work due to his desire to be the aggressor.

all you can do is give him the chance to do the "right" thing and be willing to talk out your desires openly. If he still neglects you, he might just be a great guy who is sexually incompatible to some degree. Don't assume your drive is going to get any lower. It might. It can. But you might be more amped in 20 years than you are now.

so... answer the questions I asked and explain more if there's anything to add.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Just remember that you are annoying him when you make a to-do about anything.

The way to to solve problems in marriage (or in live-in situations) is to *negotiate* for what you want.

Do the negotiations while you both are out to dinner... have a rational discussion, no raised voices, no accusations, no blaming... just talk like adults. Make an agreement, for example, sex twice a week... whatever. :)

Jul 22, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Ok firstly I am on a psp so my text space is limited. I may have to write this in a few messages. We are both in about average health but could definitely improve our diets - both a bit overweight. He gets more exercise than me being he has a physical job. We both usually drink on weekends, rarely to excess and on no meds. I think he would benefit from an hours extra sleep on weeknights (goes to sleep after 10pm gets up 6.30am) he does become stressed from work, he has an apprentice and when his workplace is busy he definitely feels the pressure of it.He seems to be usually on top of it though. He is not over stimulating only a few times a week while I'm at work (I work shifts). We are open in discussion about our sex life, but it seems only me to have a problem with it. We do it between about 2-5 times a week, which isn't so bad. Perhaps I'm not happy with it because it is always on his terms. Just occasionally I would like him to take my advances seriously. Its about the only thing he has such an egotistical male stance on. I think the control level just needs to be balanced out, but I don't know how. I have told him no maybe twice in our whole relationship. And he's been receptive to me maybe twice. Ha, that's ironic isn't it. Oh & we had our typical honeymoon can't get enough of each other period at the start, this is just how things settled after it. Most everything else is OK besides common arguments but that's another story.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Posts merged.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 10:24 PM
    Well, not a lot of red flags from your answers, so it's a control issue.

How to make him say "yes"? Good luck.

Id have a serious, honest talk about how rejection of your advances hurts your relationship. After that, I'm clueless. Rejecting the advances of a woman I love just to keep control is a thought process that I cannot follow.

Jul 22, 2008, 10:51 PM
    I'm not so sure its about control, he tells me it just doesn't feel right or turn him on for me to initiate things. He says he has always been this way, that he likes to start things with a female and not vice versa. Oh well thanks anyway to those who replied. If anyone else has ideas please post them.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah_nicole
    I'm not so sure its about control, he tells me it just doesn't feel right or turn him on for me to initiate things. He says he has always been this way, that he likes to start things with a female and not vice versa. Oh well thanks anyway to those who replied. If anyone else has ideas please post them.
    Having to be the one to initiate, for whatever reason, is letting him be in control of the situation at all times.

Eventually, he'll be one of those guys on these boards, posting that he ALWAYS has to initiate, and that his girlfriend/wife doesn't seem to be that into sex anymore--what can he do to get HER to start things sometimes?

Right now, it's enough for his ego to have you ask or try to start things, even though he turns you down. That situation strokes his ego while at the same time leaves him in control of the situation (saying "no" to you is his way of controlling it). He may not THINK it's about control, but it is. After a while, you'll get sick of getting rejected and stop trying to start things (assuming that nothing changes in your situation--it sounds to me like you're not really going to put up with this), because it hurts YOUR ego to always be told "no".

You need to work out a compromise between the two of you about initiating sex, and ways for you BOTH to go about it that make the other person feel good, and sexy, and in the mood. If he's not willing to work with you on this--even to the point of counseling, if necessary--then I see nothing but problems down the road for you.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 05:39 AM
    He has issues if he gets upset when you ask for it.

I've been married 17 years. Fromn day one I told my wife if she gets an urge any time of the day or night we are together... just let me know and the itch will get scratched... and she feels the same way if I get the urge.

Fact is its not about power or control in my house... its all about getting what you need when you need it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friends Pressuring Me. Now What? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok. I've Realized. That Guys are NOT everything. And I Am Proud 2 Say I Am Single. BUT. My Friendz Keep Pressuring Me 2 Date Others. I Say No.. But They Won't Listen..

Do I have to deal with the collection agency that is pressuring my to answer TODAY? [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to deal with a law firm that is pressuring me for an answer TODAY, regarding payment of deficiency balance of surrendered vehicle? They say they have been retained by the original loan company. Can I deal directly with the auto loan company eventho it has been a year ago we surrendered...

Why won't it stop? What would make it stop? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why But I can't let go of my ex. I don't care about anyone else I just want her. It has been going on now for 3 months. People say time will heal, how long of time? It is beginning to destroy my life I don't even want to get out of bed. I feel that I cannot be full again with out her?...

Flying Fighter Planes - Moms pressuring me to pick a career [ 1 Answers ]

Ok here's the deal. My mom has been pressuring me to pick a career already, and I know I'm not going to pick anytime soon, but I thought I would ask a question about one of the things I'm thinking about. Ok... I would love to fly a fighter plane for the army. Now the question is, what do I have to...

Ex-husband pressuring me [ 12 Answers ]

My divorce was 3 years ago. He has been out of the house for 4 years. He is now pressuring me to move back in. I feel bad for him, but he won't find his own place to live. I want to get rid of my feelings of guilt for kicking him out. I don't know what's happening to me. I'm frustrated and...

View more questions Search