Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VJH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Elective foreclosure
    If I can qualify for a new, lower mortgage for a least expensive house, can I let the first home loan (larger) go back to the bank/mortgage under Michigan law? When the bank forecloses in Michigan I heard that you don't have to pay off the mortgage and if the house does sell, the mortgage company gives you a 1099 to file the difference as income on your annual tax records which you have to pay tax on. Is this correct? How do I find out for sure?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Your claim sounded outrageous.

I checked, and it seems to be true, there can be no legal action by law for the balance on the mortgage or any part thereof.

I think I may relocate to Michigan if my finances ever get in distress.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure [ 7 Answers ]

My friends house is being forclosed on. He lives in MN. We have something here called the Cold Weather Rule where you can't be evicted if it's after Oct. 15 Can a house be forclosed on and can he be kicked out before spring?

Foreclosure Law [ 12 Answers ]

I just want to know if I sign my house over to the bank and they sell it for less than what my mortgage is, do I have to pay taxes on that money as income? I live in MI.

Foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

I live in ga . And I am due to be foreclosed on jan. 2 2007 I need to pay 1300 in non negotable attorny fee's and 3000.00 To keep my property off the courthouse steps. I also have a second mortgage as well.

Foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

On a 5 year home equity loan that has expired but being paid on a regular basis be foreclosed on because of credit score or reduced income?

W2 Elective Deferrals? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE! I am an Indian Citizen. I was on F1 visa from August 2002 - October, 2005 (on OPT from December 2004 - October, 2005) On H1B from October 1st, 2005 - Current. I do not meet the substantial presence test. As I understand from the previous threads, I should fill 1040 NR? And can Claim...

View more questions Search