Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krmac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 07:06 AM
    401k to P/O Mortgage
    I am 56 Female who has worked for the same co. for 30 yrs. I have had my townhome on the market now for 1 year. I want to sell but the value of my home has declined over $50,000. In the last 2 years. My townhome is currently valued at about 235,000. Which happens to be close to what I owe. I am fully vested in my 401k and eligible for retirement. My 401k bal. could cover the payoff and payoff my credit card debit as well. But leave me nothing in savings. I would plan to go back to work P/T job to cover expenses until home values improve, and my home sells. Is this a wise choice considering it is getting impossible to cover my current monthly expenses?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 01:44 AM
    I found this from IRS publications:
    "However, this additional tax (10% early withdrawal tax) will not apply if the payments are made after your separation from service in or after the year you reached age 55, or if the payments are part of a series of substantially equal payments that are paid over your life."

"Hardship Distribution
    Many 401(k) plans allow employees to make a hardship withdrawal because of immediate and heavy financial needs. Generally, hardship distributions from a 401(k) plan are limited to the amount of the employee's elective deferrals only, and do not include any income earned on the deferred amounts. Hardship distributions are not treated as eligible rollover distributions."

How IRS defines hardship? And withdrawal after 55 and retirement?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage broker vs. Mortgage Lender [ 3 Answers ]

What are the pro's and con's of using either a mortgage broker or going directly to the mortgage lender?

Lump sum from 401K to pay off mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

My wife may be losing her job and the prospects for another are rather bleak in this economy. She currently has about $150,000 in a 401k. We currently owe $52,000 on a $350,000 home with 4.5 more years at $1,125 per month. Does it make any sense to take a lump sum payout as a hardship and pay off...

36 hours before I close mortgage company refuses to give mortgage? [ 5 Answers ]

I secured a deal for a home with the owner and got a signed contract a month ago. For sale by owner deal. Secured financing at 95%, with 5 % down. Did financing through a broker, and got a locked in deal with countrywide over 3 weeks ago. All is well, appraised for 100K over what I have...

Will lenders use income from 401K for mortgage approval [ 2 Answers ]

We have over 500K in 401K and IRA's. We are over 60. We also have 300K in CD savings; our income is 60K annually. We would like to purchase a 500K second house, put down 270K in cash and borrow 239K as a 15 year mortgage. I'd like to use one 220K retirement account to pay that mortgage. ...

Use 401K to pay off 2nd Mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

I have about $40,000 in a line of credit on my house @ 8.0% variable. I am 68. Should I use $40K of my $250,000 401 K money to pay off this line of credit? Then use the money I am paying on the loan (about $400 per month) to rebuild the 401 K?

View more questions Search