Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albion223 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 08:50 AM
    How efficient are hydro-air heating systems?
    Can anyone offer their thoughts on hydronic air heating systems? I currently have a 20+yr old oil fired forced hot air system with a stand alone oil fired hot water tank and would like to replace them with a hydronic air system to produce both heat and hot water at the same time. By removing the hw tank I can also vent a wood stove into the shared chimney flue as a supplemental source of heat. (I currently vent the hw tank and furnace into the same flue)
    Seeing that I have duct work in place for the current system is it correct to assume that I can use the same ducts with the new system?

Questions
    1. How efficient is hydro-air?
    2. What are costs associated with this system?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 10:13 AM
    I have Hydro air in my home. Three separate fan coil systems and three central air systems. I did this to be able to zone the home and when I did the additions all I had to do was run the boiler copper lines to the new addition.

It is a expensive set up and I would think twice before you make that move.

The best thing you can do is get estimates for what you want to do then decide.

How efficient is hydro-air?

Only as efficient as the boiler you use to make the hot water.

Jul 18, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Thank you for your reply, I will be doing my research before deciding what to do, as asking this in a public forum is the first step in thisprocess.

When you say "expensive to install" in what price range are we looking at (my home is 1700 sf located in coastal Massachusetts). Who manufactered the system for your home (and would you mind sharing your sf/cost to heat your home for comparison sake?)

Thanks...

Jul 18, 2008, 11:31 AM
    I have no idea how much mine cost because I did it myself during the many years I owned the corporation. My system has been in for almost 30 years.

There is no way to estimate the cost unless you have a contractor estimate for you. Way to many variables.

No one manufactured my system. It used a now extinct Paloma Pac boiler and the hot water coils were ordered from Bryant Corporation. The boiler is NON condensing and runs 80% efficiency. Just below condensing. It is a very simple system except for the computer that runs the zones. Since there were no programs available I wrote it and it runs a modified unix system as controller.

Jul 18, 2008, 11:35 AM
    OK... do you run ac off it to? Is there much maintenance to the system?

Jul 18, 2008, 12:01 PM
    A/C yes I mentioned it already

Three separate fan coil systems and three central air systems

Is there much maintenance to the system

Not unless it breaks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 heating and a/c systems [ 3 Answers ]

I have added 600 sf. To a 1500 sf. House and need to upgrade my heat and a/c. I only have a 2.5 ton unit and it is only three years old. The repairman says it is best to go with a second 2.5 ton unit to take care of the new area. Is this the best way.

FIR (far infared) floor heating systems [ 3 Answers ]

Question: Any one have experience with using FIR floor heating system versus other floor heating systems. Installation (is it easy to install) Controller (temperature controller) and power supply Operating costs (does anyone have actual electrical cost data) Long term - is there...

Heating systems [ 3 Answers ]

Are bryant heaters any good

Wiring hydro air/ heating [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I wrote in earlier in regards to this same question, how ever I would like to know can I wire the aquastat on the return side of the hydro heating system to the blower unit via, low voltage to the green contact on the blower unit as long as I make the ( Rh &Rc separate on the t- stat, I know...

Old heating systems [ 3 Answers ]

Hello There is a discontinued thermostat on the wall of my house that was built in the 1970's. When painting the wall, I proceeded to remove the thermostat because of it does not serve a purpose. To confirm that this could be done safely, I followed the wire in the basement to a strange relay...

View more questions Search