Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwd77 Posts: 186, Reputation: 3

Jul 17, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Corner flashing over foundation edge
    I need to put flashing over a corner where the foundation (the basement top) sticks out from the house. I cannot seem to find the proper way to do this. My best guess is in the picture shown:
    Name:  corner flashing.jpg
Views: 3241
Size:  18.5 KB
    (I would caulk each joint.)

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jul 18, 2008, 09:08 AM
    What are the materials above and below this condition? Is this new construction?

Your on the right track, gives us a little more info. I think I have a detail for you. They make a sealant specifically for bonding flashing pieces together and they make a corner piece which will perform better than your sketch..

Jul 18, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Thanks for the reply

The upper part is wood construction, with Hardi Plank siding. The lower is concrete with 2" foam, so the 'step' is essentially foam.

Its old construction, which I am dismantling to add a deck. The original flashing was aluminum and looked like a 5-year-old did it. I am going to use copper to flash the deck ledger (brown in picture below), but not sure about the corner. I know I need to isolate the copper from any adjoining flashing.
    Name:  corner flashing 2.jpg
Views: 2120
Size:  11.7 KB
    A pre-fabbed corner piece would be great. In case I cannot find it out here in the sticks, it would be nice to know how to properly do a corner.

(The corner is actually a little more complicated than the picture, it is a 'double step' as the sill plate sticks out about 3/4" from the house wall, then steps again over the foam.)

Anything else you need to know?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jul 18, 2008, 01:45 PM
    I think what you have there is going to work, run the flashing out to the face of the foam insulation. See this sketch and let me know if it helps, and if you need more info.
    Attached Images

Jul 18, 2008, 03:58 PM
    You wrote: "They make a sealant specifically for bonding flashing pieces together and they make a corner piece which will perform better than your sketch"

Can you send me links or info on these? I have a good handle on flashing except for corners.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My almost 3 year old has me about over the edge. [ 11 Answers ]

I don't know what to do with her anymore. I try time out, and usually give up because I'm tired of chasing her around, along with the throbbing headache I've encountered from her hi-pitched screaming just to irritate me. In fact, her and my one year old have screaming matches all day long, the...

What is edge [ 1 Answers ]

What is the meaning for the trem edge in cell phones . What is the advantage of having edge in the phones and is it necessary?

View more questions Search