Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Compressor quits working
    I have installed an electronic thermostat a few years ago for our upstairs central air conditioner. The battery was indicating low for several weeks. Our compressor outside quit working the other day. After turning the system off for a couple of hours and replacing the batteries on the thermostat the unit worked throughout the remainder of the day and evening. The next day the compressor stopped again outside. After switching the unit off for a couple of hours it worked again. This is now continuing to happen throughout the night. The compressor was checked out a month ago, refrigerant added and numbers seem to check out fine. Could this have anything to do with the thermostat ? The unit blows cold air when working and cools the house back down. We now have it set at 76 for today to see what happens.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 07:30 AM
    It could be the thermostat BUT I suspect it might be a outdoor unit problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compressor not working [ 2 Answers ]

How do you fix a a/c compressor in a heat pump?

A/C compressor trying to start but not working [ 3 Answers ]

I turned n my ac the fan works but compressor will not start

AC condenser compressor and fan not working [ 1 Answers ]

The inside blower motor works, just the outside unit will not turn on. Everything is fairly new. I replaced the capacitor, contactor, and the Hard Start Kit. Everything looked fine. Niether compressor nor fan will turn on by itself. I pushed on the single pole contactor and the unit jumps to life...

A/c compressor not working [ 3 Answers ]

a/c is not working. When I turn the a/c on, the compressor will make a humming sound and then periodically it will make a sounds like it wants to kick on but it won't. Any help would be appreciated.

Compressor not working [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new furnace and I hooked up the wires according to the instructions . My furnace has a connection for Yellow White Green Red and a"C" The Instruction say to connect the Compressor to the "C" and one to the Yellow wire .The blower goes on , in fact even when I turn the heat on...

View more questions Search