Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Jul 17, 2008, 05:27 AM
    Taking me out for dinner
    I have a guy friend who LOVES to take me out for dinners. He doesn't want me to pay, he always says " my treat!" We both like to try ethnic food and we talk about academic, life, work, etc nothing romantic. We don't even hug or had any type of physical contact.

Do guys treat their female friends that nice? He even took me out on V's day! But we are just friends sharing similar interest.

He recently emailed me suggesting we shall grab dinner again, I haven't replied him yet because I am confused on his constant invitation.

P.S. He is a very kind person, but he won't take his other female friends for dinner. Again, I swear nothing romantic between us.

Additional information: he is younger than me, we both study the same subject at school. I am now working, he is a Junior in college.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 05:40 AM
    If you are happy with just going out with him enjoy the 'free ride' but don't get too emotionally attached until you know that is where it is going.
    If you can't ever see yourself interested in him in a romantic way maybe you should bring it up that you are happy to have someone that is happy with a friends only relationship. Cause if you don't let him know you aren't interested in him more then he could take it as you lead him on even if you didn't.
    If you really want to know how he feels find a very subtle way to ask him or lead him into the subject.
    Like a lot of people come on here asking why the person they were seeing is avoiding them then further down by post #7 they are saying they don't understand they went out twice and then txted the person asking "why did you dump our courtship, thought the relationship was progressing nicely so whats up?"
    That is definitely enough to scare someone off.

Jul 17, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Yes, I did ask him if he was dating me? He said he thought we were just close.
    But then , he dresses up for dinner wearing colonges he never put on in daily life. I think he is confused himself, well, he is young.

This guy is a very kind person, he takes care of his grandparents everyday, and he is very honest. I find this very precious.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 05:47 AM
    He may just be overly cautious not wanting to get hurt or get in over what he can handle.
    Enjoy his company and let it go at his pace.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 06:07 AM
    I have a guy friend who is very similar. There is nothing going on between us romantically, but he treats me like gold. We've talked about starting a relationship, but we're both not in the place for it. I just moved out of state, but when I lived near him he'd take me out, just to "hang out." We'd catch movies, dinners, or go for ice cream... each time, he refused to let me pay. I think I paid once... but that was because I told him before hand that since it was MY idea I WAS PAYING! :)

Some guys are just sweethearts! Don't take advantage of his sweetness and keep offering to pay... or do things that don't require money. Have a picnic or watch a movie at home. He sounds like a great friend.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Yeah guys like that tend not to let you pay but if you say in advance as historianchick did and even make it a special thing like his birthday and tell him it is because he treats you so good then how can he refuse.

Jul 17, 2008, 06:11 AM
    No, I don't take advantage of him, I like him a lot as well. He does take me to movie and go to ice cream as well, just like yours, LOL.

I, on the other hand feel bad because he is always paying, I wanted to pay my part every time, he didn't let me and he got slighted upset if I bring it up, what do I suppose to do?
    He LOVES to go to restaurant, I did cook home and bring to his but he prefers going out! Sigh.

Jul 17, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Yes, N0help4u, I bought him gift during my travel abroad, I will give it to him next time I meet him.:) That's a shirt, is it too personal?
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Tell him before hand that you are going to treat him to a night special for him. There doesn't have to be anything romantic about it, but you want to show that you value his friendship as much as he does yours.

Do what I did. I called him up and said, "Hey ..., I am going to get a pizza and watch 300 tonight. I'd love to have you join me, say, 7 oclock??" That way, it is your plan, your idea, your dinner, your money. It shows him that you've thought about it in advance and that you want to spend time with him.

:) Good luck!

Jul 17, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Good idea, but I don't bring males to my home.
    LOL, don't laugh I don't go to male's home either, because my mum told me not to when I was little.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 06:50 AM
    That's not a problem.

The basic idea remains the same. You plan the night. For example, "Hey ..., I have a craving for pizza. I am going to .... pizza shop at 7 and having my favorite super supreme. After that, I am going to go check out the new Batman movie. Want to join me?"
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Then maybe plan a picnic and bike riding at a park that has a lake or something

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Going to be at the same dinner out with ex! [ 8 Answers ]

Hey all, well have not been on here for a while have not really felt like I needed to. But last week had a bit of a drama I had an email from my ex saying how much he misses me like crazy and how he sometimes thinks about us talking our problems through and being happy again.. then sent another...

Dinner interview [ 5 Answers ]

I had my first interview at on accounting firm the other day. They called me about two days later and told me that next weekend they want to take me out to dinner with one of the partners and then spend the next day touring the company and interviewing with various people. This is my first real...

Dinner invitation? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a dinner invitation on my answering machine from a friend I generally see every few months. It was to be at her home in 21/2 weeks. As I was away when the message was left, I returned her call about 4 days later once I was home. I reached her answering machine, expressed my apologies...

Holiday Dinner - try something new! [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have any other thoughts?? Rosemary Garlic Roast Turkey By Evelyn Raab This recipe belongs to the following categories: ChristmasDinnerHealthyLunchMain CoursesMake AheadThanksgiving If Italians had invented roast turkey, it would turn out something like this. Wonderfully...

Sunday dinner [ 20 Answers ]

I'm just prerping our Sunday lunch and I started to wonder what everyone else does. Who in your household is in charge of the main Sunday meal and what do you have ? In my house I tend to be in charge of the whole shooting match. Sundays for us normally means some sort of roast, today its...

View more questions Search