Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ravi5913 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Wanted to file taxes jointly, we are on J1/J2 visas
    Hi,
    I'm on J1 visa, came to usa on 09/2004. I'm from India and a non resident both for tax purpose and immigration purpose. My wife who is on J2 visa worked for a little time in the year 2005. She stopped working as she was a pregnant, we had our baby on 12/22/05. Now we wanted to file jointly (as she earned small amount), which forms should we use? Also, I'm still waiting to receive my baby's SSN, so how can we claim our baby, should I apply for ITIN number for her (w-7 form?)along with the taxes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 1, 2006, 10:55 PM
    Ravi:

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! Wait for her SSN.

I assume you filed Form 1040NR for 2004. You can file that way again, but you cannot claim your wife as a dependent since she earned money. She must file her own Form 1040NR.

Claim your daughter on your return.
    ravi5913 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2006, 11:42 PM
    Hi Atlanta tax expert,
    I really appreciate for your quick response. Sorry for bothering you more. If we both apply individually then we are going to lose around 1000 bucks, is there any other way we can file jointly?
    Second thing all these days I did waited for my baby's SSN (and I will wait till up to the last day), but what if it won't come till 17th, what would be the next option?
    I'm really thankful to you.
    Regards
    Ravi
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Ravi:

Download IRS Pub 519 from www.irs.gov and read page 6. If you are in the profession that makes you exempt under a "J" visa, then you cannot file jointly.

If not, then you both clearly qualify under the Substantial Presence Test and you can file as a resident alien using Form 1040. That will allow you to file jointly.

If the SSN does not come in by 17 April 2006, but you are entitled to a refund, just mail in Form 4868 to request an extension, then file when the SSN finally comes in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file taxes with no income [ 6 Answers ]

Hi... hope someone can help me, I am a full time student.. I live off school grants and veteran disability benefit money. This is the first time I have not received any income for a whole year. And I don't know how to file my taxes without a w2. But I do know that it is nessesary to file my taxes...

How do I file for taxes, my wife is on H4. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, here is the scenario: -I am on H1, and I have to file for my tax returns. -I got married last year, and my wife is in US since dec of last year. -I want to file her as an dependent while applying for tax returns, so that I can -get more returns then the normal returns. My question is,...

To file jointly or separately? Help needed please [ 1 Answers ]

Need help chosing best filing option for my wife and I. We live in NJ, I work in NYC, wife works in NJ. Is it better to file jointly or separately? NY taxes on NY income only, but does use total income (wife + mine) for rate base calculations. Wondering which filing options would be best... ...

Which states I should file taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am an MBA student ( on F1 visa) in North Carolina, and did my internship in New York during summer last year. I stayed in New Jersey while doing my internship. I also have income from working in school as well. Now, which states am I required to file taxes. Can you recommend some easy sites...

H1B starting on 3/1/05, may I file form1040 jointly with noresident husband? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Chinese. My OPT ended in 2/28/05. My fisrt $5000 was tax free because of the treaty. However, my SS and medicare tax were withhold for these two months under my OPT. My H1B started on 3/1/05. I would gratefully appreciate your help on the following questions: 1) Am I a dual-status...

View more questions Search