Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HStevens Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Old AC condenser fan motor - which wires are which?
    I have a Climatrol unit with an Emerson condenser motor that is shot. I bought an Emerson Rescue motor to replace it from the local AC supply store.

The wiring diagram was stored in the AC unit, and it is no longer readable. The three disconnected motor wires from the old unit are yellow, brown, and black. My question is: which wires on the new motor will connect to these yellow, brown, and black wires?

Worst case question: Do I need to buy an electrical meter to determine which wire is which? And if so, what is the method for distinguishing the wires?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 11:04 AM
    There is a wiring diagram on the side of all motors. Follow it and you will be OK.

If you already installed the motor without making a copy of the wiring diagram use the motor model and use Google to find the wiring diagram.

I have an idea where the wires go BUT I am also afraid if I post it and you use it there could be a problem.
    I hope you bought a new capacitor for the new motor. If not get one of the correct size.
    HStevens Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Yes, I have that wiring diagram. I am looking for additional information.

Let me re-state the question, because I found some additional information.

I disconnected 3 wires to remove the motor - yellow, brown, black.

(new info: yellow and brown go to the old capacitor, so that's easy - install the new capacitor and new wires and scrap the yellow and brown wires)

The wiring diagram shows a 3 wire hookup and a 4 wire hookup. How do I know which of those to use?

Jul 16, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Actually you can use eighter one.The two brown wires go to the capacitor and the other two goes to the 240 volt side one wire on one leg and the other wire to the other leg. Naturally they attach at the contactor so the motor will turn on and off with the compressor.This is the simple explanation. The 3 wire hook up just uses a pass through connection on the top of the capacitor. More confusing than the four wire hook up.

Usually I never use the old wiring if the new motor has long enough leeds to get back to the contactor.
    sammymh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2012, 07:05 PM
    My condenser fan motor will run for a couple of minutes a stop running and will keep this up until the circuit breaker in the house trips.

I went and purchased a new condenser fan motor, a dual run capacitor, and a single run capacitor for the fan.

The new condenser fan motor has 5 wires instead of 4. I hooked it up everything in the following way.

From condenser fan motor
    Black to L1 on the contractor L1
    White to L2 on the contractor L2
    Brown to the new single run capacitor (right side, 1 of the 4 post)
    Brown/White to the new single run capacitor (Left side, 1 of the 4 post)
    Green to Ground

New Dual Capacitor
    C post to L2 on the contractor
    HERM to Condenser
    Fan - NOTHING

My problem is that it is still doing the same thing.

Do I need to run any other wires, or is there another problem all together?

Aug 29, 2012, 05:29 AM
    Please start a new topic since not may people will see this posted here as a add on to someone else's question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement condenser fan motor wires are too short - now what? [ 2 Answers ]

The wires are about 10 inches too short. In normal wiring one would make a junction box and wire up extensions, but there is no place for a junction box inside the unit, of course. The original fan motor also used a flexible metal conduit, although the new fan wires appear to be overinsulated for...

Wiring new fan condenser motor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello How are you? I purchased a new fan motor and it has different wire colors than the old one. The old one has a black, brown and yellow wire and the new one has Brown, brown/white, White and black. How are these wired together. This is an outside A/C fan motor 1/4HP, 208-230 volts,...

Condenser Fan Motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have searched th web for a cross-match for a condenser fan motor for a RHEEM model RAKA-036JAS 3.0 Ton A/c Unit To no avail. R.S. R.Ph.

Condenser motor [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed my condenser motor does not come on when I turn on my air conditioner. Is this something I can fix.

3 wires + 2 wires  POOL MOTOR [ 2 Answers ]

I need help connecting a motor for my pool. The motor has 3 wires coming out of it. 1 white, 1 black, 1 black with a white stripe. A continuity test on the 2 blacks says they are wired together somewhere. I have a power cable coming out of the ground. 1 white + 1 black cables inside. ...

View more questions Search