Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shatter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Can you be added to a rental lease without written sig
    My girlfriend recently asked what I thought about moving in together in the future. I said that's something that I'd like. I was informed that she found a home rental property that might be desirable. I said sure, look into it and get back with me and we'll discuss.

She called me and said " she set signed a lease and the security deposit is due in two weeks. And she said she put me on the lease... is this possible?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 03:52 PM
    It's possible that a landlord who didn't totally know what they were doing may have set it up that way. Without your signature they wouldn't be able to hold you responsible for anything - especially if you never move in.

She still your girlfriend?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 15, 2008, 04:49 PM
    She could list you as an occupant with her the primary leaseholder.

I'm wondering what the big deal is. You want to move in together so as soon as you get a chance, sign the lease.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 05:15 PM
    She can not obligate you to the lease. But she can list you as a occupant

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord without a written lease [ 3 Answers ]

I have a tenant that is eight months behind in rent. There is no written lease. Is the fact that for over ten years the tenant has paid (although always late) consititue a contract (lease)? And I am posting a "vacate premise" notice giving the tenant ten days to vacate. This is in PA, and what...

Written lease w/ verbal agreement [ 4 Answers ]

Duval county, Fl The house we rented was originally $1400.00 w/ yard service. We signed a lease for $1200.00 per mo. & agreed to take care of the yard. This was 10/15/06. Gave a $500.00 security deposit. Aug. '07 we went out of town & the grass grew. We came home from work one day, & someone...

Verbal Lease after written lease agreement - Florida [ 6 Answers ]

I had a signed lease with my renter from March 2006 to October 2006. In September he failed to pay rent due to him trying to get his son from Social Services. We verbally agreed to extend the lease to a month to month basis and him adding an additional $50.00 per month to make up for Septembers...

Terminate tenancy with no written lease [ 4 Answers ]

As first-time landlords, we rented our small condo on a month-to-month basis to our nephew and his girlfriend without a written lease. The girlfriend moved out and the nephew moved in a buddy to help pay the rent. Then the nephew moved out and now we want to serve the remaining party with a 30-day...

No written lease agreement [ 3 Answers ]

No lease between landlord and myself. Landlord refuses to make repairs. I have not paid rent. Have only been in house for 2months Landlord send a typed letter stating he wants me out in 6days. Is that legal in Indiana?

View more questions Search