Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 31, 2006, 10:07 AM
    4 Piece Shower Enclosure
    I am in the process of installing a bathroom in my new garage addition, and am seeking input for the 36" Sterling shower enclosure.
    1) Instruction state that back and side walls can be attached to bare studs or over water resistant wall board. Any opinions on which is best?
    2) The base I plan to put directly on the cement floor. Instructions state that if base is installed on subfloor other than plywood, spun polyester landscape fabric can be placed under the base to prevent squeaking. I am thinking of applying expanding foam at the edges of the base for added support. Any problem with that?
    3) The 2" drain comes out of the floor. The trap is in the slab. I bought an Oatey ABS shower base drain that enters the base from the top and is secured with a nut from the bottom of the base. To accommodate the nut, I would have to chisel a 4 1/2" dia x 1" deep around the drain pipe or put a 1" plywood subfloor with a 4 1/2" hole under it (that I would rather not do). Since the drain would be attached to the base, gluing the dain to the 2" pipe could be a pain, as the ABS glue dries rather quickly, I would only have one shot at properly setting the base on the drain. Do they make a drain receptor with female threads on the inside that could be glued to the 2" pipe afer the base is set, and with the drain grate screwing into that?

I thank you in advance for any learned opinions
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Mar 31, 2006, 04:26 PM
    1) Set the tub base first then see how the sides line up. Your drain is the set point. You may get away with installing against bare studs or depending how the base sets, you may need to fir out the walls.
    2) Don't know about the foam. What I used was rubber shower pan liner under the fibergalss shower base to prevent squeaks. (Had some lying around)
    3) No clue, ask Tom (speedball) in the plumbing section.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 1, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by skiberger
    1) Set the tub base first then see how the sides line up. Your drain is the set point. You may get away with installing against bare studs or depending how the base sets, you may need to fir out the walls.
    2) Dont know about the foam. What I used was rubber shower pan liner under the fibergalss shower base to prevent squeaks. (Had some lying around)
    3) No clue, ask Tom (speedball) in the plumbing section.
    Ski,
    I answered this over in plumbing and then moved it over here. Regards, tom
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 2, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Thank you both for the sage advice. I will try the rubber liner material, as it should even out slight imperfections in the speckled polyurethane floor coating that I had put down on the entire floor. I checked out the flange type drain at Home Depot. While there I found an Oatey "ABS No Calk Shower Base Drain" which uses a rubber caulking gasket, and a caulking nut for a tight seal. This requires a smaller clearance area around the drain pipe (less drilling and chiseling). Does this sound like a good option? Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Silicone between a 2 piece shower unit? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We have a 2 piece shower unit with a gap between the wall and the tub. Should I use silicone to fill this gap? The gap is 1/16 to 3/16 of an inch and water goes in and lays in the back of it. We have trouble cleaning this gap. I have not used silicone because I am afraid mold or mildew will...

4 Piece Shower Enclosure [ 3 Answers ]

"Do they make a drain receptor with female threads on the inside that could be glued to the 2" pipe afer the base is set, and with the drain grate screwing into that?" They do but I'm not too sure you can use it on a manufactured shower base. It's called a "flange type shower drain", (see image)...

Building a tub deck and shower enclosure [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I am not sure if this s/b in this section or in plumbing, so I will post it in both. We are adding a whirlpool tub to our bathroom addition and it requires a tub deck. The exterior walls are all framed and insulated (Icynene). Should I rock the walls first and then build the...

One piece shower leak [ 2 Answers ]

I have a one piece shower that is leaking. I have taken the quarter round off around the front of the shower unit and the adjacent base boards and water is slowly seeping out from under the shower. The quarter round trim was very wet. Is there anyway to get the remaining water out from under the...

Replacing tile shower with one-piece [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bathroom in the basement which has a tile shower. The shower started leaking and rotted away the wood around it, so I removed the shower completely (all you see are the studs on the wall and the drain pipe in the ground). It used to be a 36" shower stall, but there is additional space...

View more questions Search