Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Politically correct OVERBOARD
    Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist'
    By Rosa Prince, Political Correspondent
    Last Updated: 9:29AM BST 08/07/2008 | Comments 966 | Have Your Say
    Toddlers who turn their noses up at spicy food from overseas could be branded racists by a Government-sponsored agency.

The National Children's Bureau, which receives £12 million a year, mainly from Government funded organisations, has issued guidance to play leaders and nursery teachers advising them to be alert for racist incidents among youngsters in their care.

This could include a child of as young as three who says "yuk" in response to being served unfamiliar foreign food.

The guidance by the NCB is designed to draw attention to potentially-racist attitudes in youngsters from a young age.

It alerts playgroup leaders that even babies can not be ignored in the drive to root out prejudice as they can "recognise different people in their lives".

The 366-page guide for staff in charge of pre-school children, called Young Children and Racial Justice, warns: "Racist incidents among children in early years settings tend to be around name-calling, casual thoughtless comments and peer group relationships."

It advises nursery teachers to be on the alert for childish abuse such as: "blackie", "Pakis", "those people" or "they smell".

The guide goes on to warn that children might also "react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying 'yuk'".

Staff are told: "No racist incident should be ignored. When there is a clear racist incident, it is necessary to be specific in condemning the action."

Warning that failing to pick children up on their racist attitudes could instil prejudice, the NCB adds that if children "reveal negative attitudes, the lack of censure may indicate to the child that there is nothing unacceptable about such attitudes".

Nurseries are encouraged to report as many incidents as possible to their local council. The guide added: "Some people think that if a large number of racist incidents are reported, this will reflect badly on the institution. In fact, the opposite is the case."

Is disliking spicy food a sign of racism? Leave your comments below

Toddlers who dislike spicy food racist, say report - Telegraph

I MUST HATE everybody and not even aware I don't like anybody!!
    I miss to understand how saying yuk to asparagus when I was 2 has anything to do with race.

I can understand the racial slurs indicating this but peas and carrots!?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Crazy people are everywhere. Including the people who wrote that article. :)
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Crazy people are everywhere. Including the people who wrote that article. :)
    How is it that the people who wrote the article are crazy?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Thanks for this piece, NOhelp. "The National Children's Bureau, which receives £12 million a year, mainly from Government funded organisations, has issued guidance to play leaders and nursery teachers advising them to be alert for racist incidents among youngsters in their care." Sounds like some Bolsheviks need to be put back in their cage!
    Ps: This sounds Obamaesque: "Staff are told: 'No racist incident should be ignored. When there is a clear racist incident, it is necessary to be specific in condemning the action.'"
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Yeah they were commenting on the book. Not their own opinion.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Yeah they were commenting on the book. Not their own opinion.
    Ah yes, you are correct. There is no need for that kind of expenditure. If the kids are going to be racist it will come from their parents, regardless of what schools or daycares teach.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 07:32 AM
    ... :D or what word the kid uses to describe the nasty taste when they bite into liver for the first time
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 07:50 AM
    This fits in well and ties together the other postings about the food police and political correctness in the UK .

My daughter ,when she was a young child, took a bite out of a jalepeno . Her reaction was proof positive that she has issues with Mexicans.
    But now that she is old enough to drink Margaritas ,her opinion has obviously moderated .
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 07:56 AM
    ... let us know if she ends up marrying a Mexican and/or opening a Mexican restaurant
    Then their idea is sunk hook line and sinker!!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 07:58 AM
    BTW I still refuse to eat asapragus. What does that tell you about my prejudices against Ancient Greeks ?
    History of Asparagus
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 08:00 AM
    I never knew an asparagus I liked
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Asparagus is great when well prepared with some hollandaise sauce.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Aspargus is one of my favorite veggies!

I don't eat pork or beets or okra, though. I must be racist against something for that.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 08:42 AM
    If'in youns ain't to predjudiced against us mountain folk I can give you some mountain recipes for some old fashioned coon, possum and chestnuts, frog legs, ground hogs, stewed terripan, head cheese (hog's head), fried cucumbers, fried green tomatoes... did I say a Country Girl Can Survive.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 08:42 AM
    You forgot watermelon and fried chicken!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Lol yeah I did, after we eat the watermelon we use the rind for watermelon pickles... give the dogs the chicken bones... I'm am trying to teach country folk not to give their dogs chicken bones... I have my mom busy spreading the word... but country folks don't like to waste anything so it is hard work to reform the old timers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to handle a future daughter in law who is going way overboard on her wedding [ 4 Answers ]

Our futures daughter in law is planning a reception that is way to expensive how do we get her to tone it down

Another thread on politically correct. [ 3 Answers ]

I was just listening to Jerry Doyle on the radio he was talking about Mary Crane on Sixty minutes the other night. He said that the kids entering the work place now want their hours to work around their yoga classes etc... Their mothers want performance reports from the boss, telling the boss how...

Politically Correct speak [ 30 Answers ]

"Undocumented". Since "Illegal Aliens" losing favor for "Undocumented Aliens", I'd like to take advantage too. I'm a drug dealer. Please do not refer to me as such; I prefer "Unlicensed Pharmacist".

A politically correct question regarding homosexuality & our dear right wing friends [ 42 Answers ]

Hello: I posted a question a few moments ago wherein I used the word "faggot". The word was used by Ann Coulter on national TV without being censored, so I would have thought I could use it here... I was wrong. This question might just disappear too, like my last question did. In any...

View more questions Search