Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tofutofu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2006, 04:49 AM
    Very complicated situation, please help!
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert,

I became an independent contractor of a financial company in May, 2004 while I was still on my F-1. But I did not make any income with them until late 2004, when I already changed my status to OPT. Then in February 2005, I found a full-time job and stopped working at the financial company. However, I didn't not officially terminate the relationship with them until July, 2005. So I was not able to generate any income during that time, but I paid a lot of expenses for maintaining my security licenses. Then I changed my status from OPT to H1-B in October 2005. Besides those, I also sold advertisement for a newspaper while I was going to school. It was not a significant amount of income at all in 2004, so I didn't file it. But this year they have sent to me a 1099-misc for nearly $1000 for 2005. The fact is, I have also stopped working for this company, but I still receive residual income from them.

Originally I wanted to file 1040NR with ScheduleC-EZ for the newspaper income since it's over $400, and Schedule C for my losses from the financial firm. But after reading a few messages on this forum, I started to have some concerns.

1. One person has mentioned that people on H1-B visa should not receive 1099-misc forms, which is something that I did not know before. So how am I going to resolve this now? I received 1099-misc from the newspaper company for both year 2004 and 2005 while I was under F1-OPT-H1B. I did not report this on my 2004 return because the amount is very small, but how am I going to handle it this year?

2. Similar situation to the financial firm. However, because of the low amount of income I made in year 2004, I was not issued a 1099-misc. Instead, it was letter stating the amount of income I received from that company. And this year, because I did not make any money with them at all, I did not receive any documentation from the company. But like I have mentioned, I really wanted to file because I want to be able to reduce my taxable income by reporting my loss. Am I allowed to do that without a 1099-misc? And most importantly, am I going to violate the immigration law if I do report this source of income?

So now I have the following

W-2 from my full-time job
    1099-misc from the newspaper publisher

What should I do? What are my choices? And if I'm already in trouble because of getting income from companies other than the one that sponsors me, what can I do to fix it? Can I file without mentioning the other two companies at all? Or is that going to upset IRS?

Also, my company also withheld for my SS and Medicare. Can I only get the refund for the amount that applies to the period I was under OPT in 2005, which is 8 month? Or do I get the whole year's?

Thank you very much for reading my very long questions and helping me to straighten this out in advance. I am so confused right now. I hope to hear back from you soon.

Connie
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 1, 2006, 08:35 AM
    Connie:

Even if the Form 1099-MISC amounts for 2004 were both under $600, you should report the income on a Schedule C because the IRS is expecting you to account for that income. Same rule applies for 2005.

Now, should you be getting this income? No, but I would not worry about it. You will get into more troble for not reporting the income than you would for earning the income in the first place.

My advice is to amend your 2004 return and report the income using Schedule C. Report the income for 2005 using a Schedule C. Then get on with your life. I doubt it will have any adverse effect on your visa status. No one to date has stated that it has caused a dramatic problem with their visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Complicated (at least to me) tax situation [ 1 Answers ]

Here’s the situation, created by equal parts fear, confusion and ignorance. In 1999 got married to a Norwegian citizen and moved to Norway. I didn’t file taxes for that year (I just forgot. I am not even sure about the year before, since I have this weird “form phobia” that it takes me forever...

Complicated tax situation (claiming dependants and ITIN related) [ 18 Answers ]

Hi. I came to the United States in September 2004, on a R-1 (religious worker) visa. My wife is also here, on a R-2 visa, and as per her visa requirements, she doesn't have any US income source. I have a SSN, but my wife doesn't and she is not allowed to have one either (I guess she could apply...

Complicated Tax Situation(Advice Needed) [ 5 Answers ]

To tax experts I have a complicated tax situation, I am working on OPT for a company since may 2005, I got married in September and my wife came to america on dependent F-2 visa, She got her L-1 approved recently and she has started working for a company since dec 15th. I am really...

Complicated question [ 1 Answers ]

I was married in Arkansas in 2001 by a jp. I was married for about a year before my wife was unfaithful then we separated but not legally. At that time we were living in California. She moved back home to Mississippi in early 2003. Later in 03 she filed for a divorce there and sent me the papers(...

Complicated situation [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir, I have a friend of mine who was here on h1B visa before 3 yrs due to slow down in computer field he was not employed and did not pay any taxes, He is now working and his employer is going to pay all the taxes,Is this going to be problem for him since no tax was reported to IRS before....

View more questions Search