Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Handy - J Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Extending a 120v Outlet Wire
    I have recently begun remodeling my Bath Room, I have completed everything I have experience in and only need one thing done before I can complete the project. I now need to move a 120V Outlet Wire, I will still need to use the outlet, so it seams best to just extend the current wire to the length needed, however I have never done this, my Father In Law is an Electrician, however schedules have conflicted for over a month and I must get the Bath Room done.
    I am hoping someone can help in telling me how to add additional wire to the existing 120V Outlet Wire so I can move it out of the way and finish my Dry Wall.

Any help is appreciated.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 09:46 PM
    FYI, junction boxes must be used when ever wiring connections are made up. Junction boxes are often just receptacle boxes left in place with access covers, then the wires continue from there. I strongly suggest that if you aren't familiar with the procedure you need to make time to get your Father in Law over there to do it for you. It's worth the wait to have it done correctly. Ask any fireman who has had to put out an electrical fire.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 09:57 PM
    As Missouri said junctions must be made in a box. That box cannot be covered up or hidden the wall either. If having the box (with cover plate) visible is not acceptable, you will have to replace existing cable from where ever it is connected with a cable long enough to reach the new location.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 06:51 AM
    This is the only device that is generally approved to be used within a wall to make splices, but the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) has the final say.

Modular Splice & Tap Kit - 194130062

Edit: For more information goto: Welcome to Molex and search for "the COC". The NEC reference article numbers are there too.
    Handy - J Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Thank you for answering my question, in my time, I have done many things to remodel a house, Electrical not being one of them. I think I will take your advise and just wait for my Father In Law, my Wife and Daughter can't afford for me to pull a Tim Allen...

Thank to all for the quick responses.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 05:15 PM
    There are no devices allowed for splicing a wire in an enclosed wall. There may be devices which do the same thing as a junction box, but they must be accessible. You can use a junction box in a wall and cover it with drywall and or paneling, but the opposite side of the wall must provide access.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220v in 120v outlet [ 5 Answers ]

Bought a low wattage set of X mas lights in Europe, they appear to be set for 220v. Can I get an adaptor for the European plug and just plug them into a 120v US outlet or do I have to buy some type of voltage converter?

Extending electrical outlet to other room? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello experts, first of all, thanks in advance for taking the time to help me with my problem. Ok, so here's the deal. I rent an older apartement (built in 70's?) I am currently trying to build a home-based computer animation business. I have 7 years of experience doing computer animation,...

Half Voltage on 120V Electrical Outlet [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting only half voltage at a 120v electrical outlet. The outlet is on a GFI circuit, but the other outlets on that circuit are fine. I have tripped and reset the GFCI. It tripped and reset fine, but had no effect on the outlet in question. I have removed the receptacle and checked the...

Old 120v outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I am beginning to replace some old 120v outlets when I took off the face plate I found I have 3 white wires and 3 black wires. Do I cap two of each and only attach one black and one white on new outlet on new outlet?

Replacing old 5-wire 120v thermostat to Digital [ 1 Answers ]

Wow- what an awesome resource this site is... I am glad I found it. Ok... I have an old HoneyWell 5 wire, line voltage, 120v thermostat (T651E 1000 8049), which runs the HVAC air/heat system in my condo. It is broken, and I would like to replace it with a digital thermostat, but I can't...

View more questions Search