Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    D_Rad2003 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 08:59 PM
    What to expect?
    My wife and I are planning to have a baby! Our first one together. We already have a beautiful daughter but this will be our first together. I'm just wondering what I can expect. I'm really excited. Yay!!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 12:15 AM
    There are so many things to expect. There's a great book out, it's called "What to Expect when you're expecting", it tells you allot of what a woman experiences during pregnancy.

I wish you both the best.
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Jul 14, 2008, 08:29 AM
    I agree with Altenweg. That book was my bible during my first pregnancy. It gives you month by month what you will be feeling, what is happening with your body and so forth. It also gives a good nutritional guide to follow, a dictionary of any complications that may occur and a special section for new dads too. You can buy it at places like Walmart and Target. Good luck.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 02:07 PM
    I agree, to an extent. The book has some helpful information, and is very popular, but it can also cause unnecessary worry for some women as well. Certainly read it, and use the information that is helpful to you. If your wife is considering breastfeeding, there are better books available on that particular topic.
    There are many good books available, and much depends on what sort of information you are looking for. Two that I always recommend are: Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn: The Complete Guide... by Penny Simkin (covers a wide variety of topics) and for dad, or other support person, in particular: The Birth Partner... also by Penny Simkin. Will give you very good information about what to expect, how to be most helpful, how to be an advocate for the birth you want, questions to ask, supporting mom, etc..
    Always a good idea to have a preconception visit with the OB or midwife. They will also have plenty of handouts to read through. While trying to conceive, both of you should be doing what you can to insure your best health... eating well, regular exercise, avoid cigarette smoke, etc.. It is also recommended that women be taking a prenatal or multivitamin with at least 400 mcg of folic acid while trying to conceive. This helps to prevent certain birth defects that occur in the very early weeks... sometimes before a woman even knows she is pregnant.
    When you are successful with a pregnancy, you might want to check with your local hospital, birthing center, or with your OB/midwife about possible prenatal classes that might be available in your area. Some will offer early prenatal classes, while most will have some sort of childbirth preparation class for later in the pregnancy.
    D_Rad2003 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Thank you. I will definitely be looking at a lot of books and things on the internet. What can I expect with my wife? I mean are there thing I should avoid doing or saying? What about thing that I should do special? I'm very excited and I have so many questions.
    babygirl1092 Posts: 114, Reputation: 8
    -

Jul 21, 2008, 09:29 PM
    Well a great book for you that made this pregnancy this go 10 times better then the one before this one was called " how to keep a pregnant woman happy" would do you wounders I promise, and adviod telling her how big she is amd make sure to stress how beautiful she is. Because depression is very common in pregnacies. Well we wish you the best of luck and congrads on being a dad!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Rad2003
    Thank you. I will definatly be looking at a lot of books and things on the internet. What can I expect with my wife? I mean are there thing I should avoid doing or saying? What about thing that I should do special? I'm very excited and I have so many questions.
    It can vary from woman to woman as to just how pregnancy effects them. Many women breeze through it, some have a more difficult time.
    It is not uncommon for a woman to go through different mood swings... sometimes being quite irritable and not even really knowing why for example. IF something like this occurs, and it won't for everyone... try not to play it off as "just pregnancy hormones". Acknowledge her frustration without appearing to be patronizing. She may or may not be sensitive about gaining weight. She may feel ill from time to time, she may be more tired than usual, appetite can fluctuate... eating hardly anything then hungry all of the time. Much of it is just paying attention and knowing your partner... what helps her when she doesn't feel well, what sorts of things do you do now that show her you care. Look for ways to be encouraging and supportive... go to some of the doctor's appointments, read the books together, offer to prepare some healthy meals and snacks, help around the house so she can sneak in a nap now and then, take walks together and get some exercise together. Share your excitement about the coming baby and the extraordinary changes her body is experiencing... it truly is an amazing journey... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should I expect? [ 6 Answers ]

What should I expect in midle schol?

What to expect [ 3 Answers ]

What can I expect if I have to go to court for unsecured credit card debt, that I can not pay at this time. I am 38 years old and never even had a ticket so I am very scared about the whole idea. Thank you Nervous:eek:

What to expect? [ 4 Answers ]

Continuing on the same subject, paternity has been confirmed by both me and her ( being the mother). Do I still need to take a DNA test here in Montana? That is beside the point, the situation is that guardianship has been established with her aunt in a nother town. Guardianship was established...

What To Expect? [ 4 Answers ]

Can Your Be At All The Airports If You Been Accused Of Using Some One Else Name To Get A Credit Card, And Also Use The Credit Card?

What should I expect [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Wyoming and just told my husband that I wanted to file for a divorce. We have a 14 month old son and I don't want him to get custody. My husband is an over the road truck driver and wants to buy his own big rig so I know that he is not going to get a place of his own to live in with our...

View more questions Search