Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samarei Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 04:13 PM
    New Honeywell RTH230B T'stat, No cold air
    I exchanged a GE thermostat (not sure of the model #) with a Honeywell RTH230B today. Coming from the wall, there is a red, white, yellow, green, and blue wire; however the blue wire was not connected to the old thermostat. I'm 100% sure about this, it was capped off and wrapped around the other wires.

After connecting the wires to the new thermostat R-Rh-jumped-to-Rc, W-W, Y-Y and G-G, no cold air comes from the vents in the house. The outside unit is running, but the air coming from the vents is 79 degrees, measured by an independent thermometer.

I removed the new thermostat, put the old one back on, and still no cold air. Have I broken my AC unit?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Hmm... did you shut off the power to the furnace BEFORE you started the installation?
    ... and did you happen to notice if the wires were actually connected to terminals they are supposed to be connected to on the old stat before you disconnected them? Since you can't get it to work again, you may have shorted some component, or perhaps the wires just were not wired to the actual code in the first place. What type of furnace is this, gas, electric?

Jul 13, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Power was off during both new installation and old re-installation and the original wires were hooked up correctly to their corresponding labels on the old thermostat. The thought that I'd blown some fuse or shorted something had crossed my mind, but I have no idea how to check for this. It seems strange that the outside unit is running and I see condensation on the piping running inside to the unit, yet the air coming from the vents is ambient-temp.

It's a gas furnace and an electric (are there other types?) AC unit. The heat is working. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Can you check to see if perhaps the burners are firing at the same time the stat is calling for cool? Is the fan running at the same speed as before you changed the thermostat? IS the fan running? There is always a chance of a broken wire when changing a thermostat.. is that a possibility?

Jul 14, 2008, 05:15 AM
    The fan is running, but I don't know if it's going at the same speed as before. It's easy to convince myself that the air is coming out slower/more weakly, but that's probably just my imagination.

I'm already late for work this morning, but I'll take a look at the heat/air running at the same time suggestion when I get home this evening (to my hot, hot house). Thanks for all your help.

Jul 15, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Well I went home yesterday at lunch to see what I could see and strangely, the AC was working. I assume there's a wire somewhere that got jiggled loose when I was working on it Sunday and just happened to fall back into contact sometime. Guess I'll need to hunt it out before I lose AC again...

In a possibly un-related question, how long should it take for a 2-ton unit to cool a 900 sq. ft home from 83 to 76? It took a good 3 hours for it to happen yesterday, which seems excessive and I'm wondering if I should get it serviced.

Thanks for your help.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Depends on a lot of factors, insulation, outside temperature, shade trees, windows. That being said, stick a thermometer on the supply register closest to the furnace / hvac unit. The air needs to be cool for the unit to do it's job. It's not a sceintific measurement, but my supply air is now at 53 degrees and the house is at 73. Can you go outside to the condensing unit and see if the suction line (bigger line) is cold and sweating? This is often a way to indicate the charge of refrigerant. If an air conditioner cycles normaly after cooling the house, it's probably not too big of a deal to fine tune the system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I install a new Honeywell RTH230B from Honeywell T8195B [ 1 Answers ]

Good evening. Our old thermostat was model T8195B which came with wires C,Y,W,R & G. has no rererence as to where they hook up. The new one RTH230B doesn't say where these wires go. I've removed the Rc/Rh jumper according the instruction manual. Nothing went on at all. What can I go Thank...

Install Honeywell RTH230B, Removing Honeywell Q674L [ 2 Answers ]

I am removing a old (1987) Honeywell Mercury THermostat Q472L Base that has W, R, Y, G, B, O. The RTH230B has Rc (which I assume to be B), Rh (which I assume to be R), Y (to Y), W(to W), G (to G). I have no idea what to do with the O (which I read could be the Changeover. Do I just tape it up...

Honeywell RTH230B thermostat not blowing cold air [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a Honeywell RTH230B thermostat. Connected the four wires, per the instructions - Red to Rh (jumpered to Rc) White to W, Yellow to Y and Green to G. I live in Arizona, and have a split air conditioning system. The Air conditioning compressor unit turns on, the fan blows, but no...

Honeywell rth230b [ 2 Answers ]

I installed the honeywell rth230b thermostat in the house for a furnace. I hooked all the yellow wire green wire and white wire up to each of the corresponding holes for each color I have a red wire and two holes for rc and rh not sure which hole to put the wire and is it supposed to be jumpered...

Honeywell RTH230B [ 6 Answers ]

I am installing a Honeywell RTH230B thermostat but am not sure of the wiring. I have 6 wires colored as follows, red, green, white, yellow, and 2 blue wires. Please advise?

View more questions Search