Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Todd1249 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 09:48 PM
    Troubleshoot: Bathroom Fan causing breaker to trip
    I have just installed a new Panasonic ventilating fan in our bathroom.

Model #: FV-08VS1

When I turn on the fan, the breaker trips.

Have checked the electrical connections and everything appears to be connected properly.

There is no other load on this ciruit.

Any ideas?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 11, 2008, 10:48 PM
    Give us more detail. New install or replacement, what's connected to what?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 04:33 AM
    Is it a GFI breaker?

Jul 12, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd1249

Have checked the electrical connections and everything appears to be connected properly.

Any ideas?
    This is a new install. Just completed the rough-in inspection and prior to drywalling, wanted to check everything.

This is a bathroom, and have the lighting and outlets on 1 x 20 amp circuit. Bathroom is separated into two areas: Vanity, and Shower/toilet. With this in mind, I have two sets of lights; one set covering the vanity, and another in the toiltet / shower area.

As for how the power feeds the bathroom, it comes into an outlet box first. The outlet is not installed, but the wiring is connected using wire connectors. From there, it feeds the first light switch box (Vanity). These lights work fine. From this switch box, the power feeds to a second outlet & the second light switch box, which has the light and Fan connections for the shower / toilet area. The light works fine. It is only when I turn on the fan, that the breaker trips.

I have double checked all connections, and everything looks to connected.

Is there a special switch I need to use to turn the fan on and off with? I used a standard 20 amp light switch.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 07:41 AM
    The switch is fine. I would disconnect hot wire at fan and try switch, if it trips it is the wire from switch that is shorting, if it doesn't trip, the fan has a short.
    Be sure the switch terminal is not touching a bare ground.

Jul 15, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd1249

Any ideas?
    Thanks for the help.

I followed your (Stratmando) instructions on troubleshooting and was able to isolate the issue to a short in the wire from coming into the fan. Turns out there was a nick in hot wire, which caused the problem.

Once I replaced the wire and re-connected everything, everything worked perfectly.

THANK YOU!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Double Pole Circuit Breaker Trip? [ 9 Answers ]

On my electrical service panel, the "MAIN" breaker is a double pole breaker and each side is marked "100 Amps." Does that mean that when the total amperage exceed 100 one side it will trip, or if the total of both sides exceed 100 amps it will trip? Also, I recently bought a new electric range. I...

Circuit Breaker didn't Trip [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old home. The bathroom outlet is a GFCI outlet on a circuit protected by a 15 amp ARC FAULT BREAKER. Today my wife plugged her hair blowdryer and the base of the cord lit up like an arc welder. This lasted for 5-8 seconds before the cord completely melted and the fireworks...

ARC Breaker troubleshoot. [ 10 Answers ]

I was removing a small Sony cd player in master bedroom. It made a short/ spark, circuit breaker went off. Removed cd player; Went to pannel and turn on /reset breaker for Masterbderoom; I made a mistake by reset the next AFCI breaker which is for bedroom2 (dont know why,may be itchy finger :o )! ...

Circuit breaker failed to trip [ 2 Answers ]

I made a big error today on wiring a new circuit. I pulled 2 cables (for 2 circuits) back to the consumer panel and then connected the wrong cable. The cable that I connected was stripped at the other end but not yet connected to anything. When I went to inspect it, I tugged on it and there was one...

Breaker doesn't trip [ 3 Answers ]

There is a property that has a 30-amp breaker in the electrical distribution panel labeled for the AC unit. The outside HVAC unit had a maximum over-current protection rating of 25-amps. I'm looking to see how serious this is and also to understand why the breaker doesn't trip with that amp...

View more questions Search