Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mep32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 05:00 PM
    Odor in kitchen/air-admittance vent
    My husband and I rent and live on the top floor. We were told that we have a sewage vent under our kitchen sink which I can only assume is a air-admittance vent. We have been complaining of a foul odor coming from the kitchen for over a month and the maintenance seems unable to fix anything. Initially we thought it was related to the garbage disposal but we haven't been using the disposal lately and the smell continues to haunt us. The smell comes and goes but recently has reached the point where we have to hold our breath and run to the bedroom. Our "safe zone" (the only place in the apartment that does not stink). I am pregnant on top of everything. Should I be worried for my baby's health if it is sewage related? What can the maintenance crew do to fix the problem? Thanks for your time.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 30, 2006, 07:48 AM
    Have you replaced the AAV,( air admittance vent) ? If no do so at once. It sounds like the spring got stuck in the open position allowing sewer gas to escape into your home. Sewer gas is dangerous to your families health and the methane content makes it explosive. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor from vent next to kitchen sink faucet [ 8 Answers ]

We have some sort of vent thing on our kitchen sink that has some awful smells coming out of it. The dishwasher drain attaches to it just below the sink at a T. On the other part of the T there is a black rubber hose running back down to the PVC pipe below the disposal and above the trap. Sometimes...

Odor coming from under Kitchen sink [ 73 Answers ]

I have noticed an odor coming from the cabinets where the kitchen sink is. I have looked for any leaks where the sink is, but have not found any. Could the odor be coming from the sewage? How can I tell? If so, then what can I do to get rid of it? Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

Kitchen Sink Vent [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a new roof put on my house and during the installation, they broke a vent pipe and then put roofing shingles over it. I didn't know what this vent was until I was told by a friend that is was the kitchen sink vent. What are the consequences of this vent pipe now "roofed" over and...

Kitchen sink vent [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older house with a kitchen sink and wash machine that use the same drain. After washing clothes or dishes there is a nasty odor that comes from the basement. (I assume where the drain is) There seems to be no vent to the outside ? Does it need one? Does it have to go through the roof or...

Kitchen sink vent [ 1 Answers ]

I have moved into an apartment where the kitchen sink was put in as an afterthought and as such was not vented in any way. Is there a way to simply tee off from the drain and run a short stretch of PVC under the basin of the sink and up to above the level of the drain in order to vent the drain? I...

View more questions Search