Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plpaul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 09:07 AM
    Doctors say elderly Mother can no longer live alone
    My 87yr old Mother lives in a regular apartment complex. Recently, after a 2 week hospital stay with congestive heart failure, the doctor has issued a form/letter stating that she is in need of assisted living and can no longer live alone. I have been told that in Texas this letter from the doctor automatically terminates the lease.
    The complex not only wants 60 days rent; but, because they say they gave her a senior citizen discount, she will have to reimburse that amount, also.
    What is correct?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by plpaul
    My 87yr old Mother lives in a regular apartment complex. Recently, after a 2 week hospital stay with congestive heart failure, the doctor has issued a form/letter stating that she is in need of assisted living and can no longer live alone. I have been told that in Texas this letter from the doctor automatically terminates the lease.
    The complex not only wants 60 days rent; but, because they say they gave her a senior citizen discount, she will have to reimburse that amount, also.
    What is correct?

What does the lease say? I don't understand the reimbursement part at all. Is your mother a Senior Citizen? I don't know how they can revoke that provision - ?

I just took a quick look at Texas law and don't see the provision about breaking the lease for health purposes but perhaps I missed it.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 09:33 AM
    This site includes a phone number that may be of assistance: Home
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    This site includes a phone number that may be of assistance: Home

Right, I checked out the site - this isn't covered (nor could I find it in Texas law) but the phone number might be of use.

Was your mother's apartment subsidized?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 02:22 PM
    I'm a landlord in Texas. The only lease release that TX landlords HAVE to honor is military, unless the lease allows for other types of release (which I can't see any landlord voluntarily adding.)

The apartment complex should still be entitled to notice. 30 days is standard in TX, but I know some leases have a longer notice written in, which is legal - it just has to be in the lease.

I would get as far up the chain of command as possible with the management, and just basically ask them for help. Make it very clear to them that you're not looking to stick it to them. Find out what you can do to help get the unit ready for re-leasing.

I could see them basically taking pity on her and helping you out, or not. Many of the larger management companies are all business, they enforce the lease to the letter, and they just basically don't care what your situation is.

But NO, in Texas they do not have to let her break her lease for this reason.

If you want to push it, it might be a good story for the 6 o'clock news on a slow day. Seniors rights and all that...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power of atty over elderly mother [ 2 Answers ]

My mother gave me power of atty in 2005. Her atty never released this document to me until just recently. The document is dated in 2005 and notarized. After being named power of atty for my elderly mother in 2005. My brother who lives in another state came to visit in January of 2007 and coerced my...

Debt & my elderly mother [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, I'm new to this. My mom (she's 84) has Parkinson's Disease. Diagnosed in 2003. I moved her in with me at the start of 2003, we sold her house in July of 2003, she no longer owns real estate, car or anything. She was on a Debt Management plan to pay off her credit cards, but due to recent...

Can I claim <My elderly Mother-in -Law as a dependent on my 2007 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim MY elderly Mother-in-Law on My 2007 taxes :)

How do I file a Real Estate Lien against my brother for my elderly mother? [ 9 Answers ]

Brother tricked elderly mother in transferring her ownership in her real estate to him. Her name is no longer on the deed. The transfer of property at zero dollars value to her, who paid the mortgage and still does through her social security check. He thereafter, removed her from her home. He...

I want to Live with my mother. [ 2 Answers ]

Hears the deal {just to chetch you up} I'v lived with my father for 15 years and I see my mom every other weekend... He has a wife now {my mom and dad devorced when I was like 2} theve been together for 10 years... she's 28 and he's 45.. {eeeww} My mom is sigle and has her own house {as dose my...

View more questions Search