Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jul 10, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Noahs ark
    OK strange question, but in the bible it says there was a flood in noahs time, what I want to know was first was it the whole world that flooded? And did everyone die (not including all who were on the ark)?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Here is a site that covers Noah's ark Get Answers: Noah's Flood
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 12:43 PM
    I found this an interesting read.
    HowStuffWorks "Could Noah's ark really have happened?"
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 11:37 AM
    The story of Noah and his ark is a just a story, not fact.

In ancient times, different cultures had "great flood stories" incorporated into their mythology. It was a very popular subject in its time.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    The story of Noah and his ark is a just a story, not fact.

In ancient times, different cultures had "great flood stories" incorporated into their mythology. It was a very popular subject in its time.
    Did you ever think that these stories all resulted from a very real event?

You declared it to be "just a story". What facts do you base that belief on? Just declaring that it is not re4al because you do not believe it is not adequate. There is a great deal of evidence from one end of the world to another that the world was at one time covered by water, and even scientists have made efforts to explain this evidence.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 05:29 PM
    YOU know, Tom, how to get a pair of *all the species in the world*, including dinosaurs(per your view of how long ago the earth was created)onto an ark!! It is obviously just a story.

Now, it could have been inspired by an event of a flood, as different cultures have the same myth, but so what? George Washington was America's first President, but he didn't chop down a cherry tree! See, mythology.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 07:12 PM
    YOU know, Tom, how to get a pair of *all the species in the world*, including dinosaurs(per your view of how long ago the earth was created)onto an ark!!! It is obviously just a story.
    Choux,

Check out those who have studied the issue. The amount of space in the ark would have been not just enough for the animals, but would be sufficient to hold the necessary food also.

You may believe it to be just a story, but the facts disagree with you.
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jul 13, 2008, 11:26 AM
    I'm sorry if this caused a big fight, but all I really wanted to know was if noahs family was the only ones to survive than does that me we were decandents of noah? Or were there other people to survive?
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starfirefly
    im sorry if this caused a big fight, but all i really wanted to know was if noahs family was the only ones to survive than does that me we were decandents of noah? or were there other people to survive?
    No one else survived who was not on the ark. The entire earth was flooded. Those who survived were:

Gen 7:7-8
    7 So Noah, with his sons, his wife, and his sons' wives, went into the ark because of the waters of the flood.
    NKJV

So, the answer to your question is yes, we are all descendents of those who were aboard the ark.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 11:46 AM
    There has been major discoveries that there was major flooding what was the basic KNOWN world at that time, If someone actually wants to hear of the digs and evidence I can pull the book and find them.
    But for the writers yes their entire world would have been flooded and the majority of all the people and animals of that area would have died.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 13, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Sure, it's possible that the earth was flooded but no evidence that the ark existed.Just like there is no evidence that snakes talk,voices telling people to sacrifice their children (other than the insane) and stone tablets falling from the sky.

Another thing, if only two of each animal were on the ark, that would mean that the future offspring of the animals would be inbred which would more than likely risk the chance of genetic mutations/mental retardation etc. and there is a possibility that one of the animals could have had reproductive issues which would be impossible to reproduce therefore once the pair dies, the animal is extinct.
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblue
    Sure, it's possible that the earth was flooded but no evidence that the ark existed.Just like there is no evidence that snakes talk,voices telling people to sacrifice their children (other than the insane) and stone tablets falling from the sky.

Another thing, if only two of each animal were on the ark, that would mean that the future offspring of the animals would be inbred which would more than likely risk the chance of genetic mutations/mental retardation etc. and there is a possibility that one of the animals could have had reproductive issues which would be impossible to reproduce therefore once the pair dies, the animal is extinct.
    There may be no specific evidence that the ark existed, but there is evidence of the flood. However, we do have recorded testimony of the history of the flood, which is all that we have for many important historic events which are unquestioned.

There were not just two of every species.

Gen 7:1-4
    7:1 Then the LORD said to Noah, "Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation. 2 You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female; 3 also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth.
    NKJV

There were seven of many or most species. There would be a risk of genetic inbreeding issues, however the risk is mitigated by the fact that the animals that existed in those days would likely have had more genetic diversity in their makeup than animals do today which are bred for specific characteristics. The risk of genetic issues and lack of reproduction would be mitigated by the fact that God's hand was in the process. However, I do agree that the small numbers in the species would increase risk of extinction of a number of species within a relatively short timeframe after the flood, and this dopes appear to have occurred in a number of cases where species from antiquity no longer exist.

One last point. There are those who claim the flood was localized and explain away the scientific evidence of a global flood by saying that there were numerous massive floods in the same timeframe in various locations around the world. However, the written historic record that we have says that the entire earth was covered:

Gen 7:17-22
    17 Now the flood was on the earth forty days. The waters increased and lifted up the ark, and it rose high above the earth. 18 The waters prevailed and greatly increased on the earth, and the ark moved about on the surface of the waters. 19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth, and all the high hills under the whole heaven were covered. 20 The waters prevailed fifteen cubits upward, and the mountains were covered. 21 And all flesh died that moved on the earth: birds and cattle and beasts and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, and every man.
    NKJV

Note that this says that the mountains were covered. For those who say that the whole earth being covered was only from the perspective of those in that region, it is important to note that even if only the mountains in the middle east were covered with water, you would be hard placed to find many piece of ground anywhere in the world not covered. There the local flood argument appears to be, at best, a moot point.
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Totally incorrect, Tom. A pair of *each species* of dinosaurs and the food and water to feed them wouldn't have fit on an ark! LOL!

And who was in charge of shoveling all the dinosaur poop off the ark every day?? And, finding the other species who were buried in it? :D

It is simply a story handed down to generations of illiterate Jewish people for their enjoyment.
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Totally incorrect, Tom. A pair of *each species* of dinosaurs and the food and water to feed them wouldn't have fit on an ark!! LOL!!

And who was in charge of shoveling all the dinosaur poop off the ark every day??? And, finding the other species who were buried in it? :D

It is simply a story handed down to generations of illiterate Jewish people for their enjoyment.
    Well Choux, I am left to believe your statement without validation; or to believe scientists and others who have analyzed the requirements and determined that there was plenty of room.

I'll stick with the evidence.
    mimi03 Posts: 201, Reputation: 45

Jul 13, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    Well Choux, I am left to believe your statement without validation; or to believe scientists and others who have analyzed the requirements and determined that there was plenty of room.

I'll stick with the evidence.
    Plenty of room for over 1.75 million known species of animals??

Could you direct me to some of this evidence (if available on the web)... I know of some of the claims of sedimentary rock found on Mt. Ararat and such but I'd really like to know what you've read to convince you to believe in such a fairytale...

Given this fact how would you explain the flood?:

The Egyptian pyramids existed 200 years before the flood but there is NO proof of these monuments having ever been underneath water and according to the Bible everything was, even Mt. Everest although it is at a staggering 29,000 ft above sea level.

Remember there's more (evidence) where this came from :).. Truth..
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi03
    Plenty of room for over 1.75 million known species of animals???

Could you direct me to some of this evidence (if available on the web)...I know of some of the claims of sedimentary rock found on Mt. Ararat and such but I'd really like to know what you've read to convince you to believe in such a fairytale...

Given this fact how would you explain the flood?:

The Egyptian pyramids existed 200 years before the flood but there is NO proof of these monuments having ever been underneath water and according to the Bible everything was, even Mt. Everest although it is at a staggering 29,000 ft above sea level.

Remember there's more (evidence) where this came from :) ..Truth..
    Nohelp4u put up one link to website regarding this topic already near the start of this thread.

As for the number of species, keep in mind that not all of these need to be on the ark, for instance:

- fish
    - water mammals (i.e. whales)
    - microscopic animals
    - many species of insects

And so on.

I note that without examining the facts, you have already come to a conclusion (i.e. "fairytale"), therefore I have no reason to anticipate that you will be objectively examining the details.
    mimi03 Posts: 201, Reputation: 45

Jul 13, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Do you believe in Vampires, Unicorns, BigFoot, the Frog that turned into a Prince? My guess is No because like the biblical fairytales and some of it's characters there is No Evidence that prove these things to be Factual... only claims.

Let's just agree to disagree because this could go on forever but you really should stop spreading the delusion that there's factual evidence of biblial lies... Just because you repeat a lie over and over doesn't make it true!
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi03
    Do you believe in Vampires, Unicorns, BigFoot, the Frog that turned into a Prince? My guess is No because like the biblical fairytales and some of it's characters there is No Evidence that prove these things to be Factual...only claims.

Let's just agree to disagree b/c this could go on forever but you really should stop spreading the delusion that there's factual evidence of biblial lies...Just b/c you repeat a lie over and over doesnt make it true!
    Just like I said, I did not anticipate an objective examination of the evidence.

As a professional in a profession based upon science, I deal with examining the evidence and dealing with facts. Other may choose to reject the facts out of hand because they do not agree with what they want to believe. That is your choice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Egyptians, Greek's Hindu, Chinese, Duids, Polynesians, Mexicans, American Indians, all have the tradition and story of the flood, all within their own religious or culture teachings.;

Geroge Smith of the British Museum found in 1872 tablets from the Library of Asur-banipal at Nineveh that relate to the flood, relating pre flood and after flood inscriptions

For Archaeological intererest
    There were flood deposits found at Ur by the Uiversity Museum of Pennsylvania in 1929
    Flood deposits at Kish found by the Oxford University Expedition also in 1929.
    Flood deposits at Fara found in 1931

MEL Mallowan director of the British Museum Excavations at Nineveh lists evidence of a major flood in his Annals of Archaeology.

1. 8 ft layer of silt that cuts though the culture levels of all the Euphrates Valley
    2. Sumerian King Lists from Lower Mesopotania retain the tration of a Deluge.
    3. A Sumerian tablet of 2000 BC gives a full account of the Flood

Along with other types of evidence
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 12:10 PM
    The *burden of proof* rests upon those who make such an outreageous claim, like claiming that the Noah Ark story is to be taken literally!

Any illiterate can see that all the species in the world could not have fit onto an ark... especially all the meat eating dinosaurs let alone the vegetation eating dinosaurs... a tyranosaurus Rex would have consumed a lot of the smaller animals like cows, tigers and lions!

The burden of proof is on YOU.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search