Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mystic1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Is it possible to get pregnant at age 39 with also suffering from irregularity?
    Im trying to get pregnant I alredy have 2 children and recently re-married, Also if there are any tips on way to enhance the coception of a girl please feel free to let me know. Thank You.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 06:36 AM
    It is possible, but fertility does start to decline and will even more so into the 40's. Have you inquired about ways to help regulate your cycles? This would likely be helpful. Also, if you have been trying for 6 months, ask about starting some testing (for you and for your husband). Unfortunately, you don't have the luxury of time. The basic testing can determine what your hormone levels are and if ovulation is occurring. You will also be able to get an idea of your egg reserves. Your husband should also be checked as the percentage of fertility issues for a couple is fairly high for the male partner or a combination of both partners. Some concerns can be fairly easily sorted out... others may take more medical intervention.
    As far as trying for a girl, there is some thought that if you have intercourse for a few days prior to ovulation a girl will be more likely... where as if you have intercourse very close to ovulation, there is a greater chance for a boy. Of course there will be some families this works for, some that it doesn't. There is also more recent research that suggests a woman who eats a more healthy diet, with higher end calories, is more like to have a boy... where as a woman who doesn't eat as much, may be more likely to have a girl. Obviously it is the sperm that determines gender, but these two "methods" are thought to encourage a more hospitable environment for one sex or the other.
    clm9944 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Irregularity has nothing to do with ovulating. You can ovulate without menostrating and vice versus... your doctor can test you and see if you are and if not, he can correct it.
    This maybe an old wives tale but I heard if you douche with vinegar it helps!
    viivincent Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Jul 10, 2008, 08:57 AM
    The males sperm determines the sex of the baby. Its absolutely ridiculous to think you can create "a more hospitable environment for one sex or the other". What kind of an expert is Doula?
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by viivincent
    The males sperm determines the sex of the baby. Its absolutely rediculous to think you can create "a more hospitable environment for one sex or the other". What kind of an expert is Doula?

Reread what I wrote... it is "thought" that these methods may increase the odds one way or the other. I also stated that while it may seem to work for some families, it doesn't for others. There are no guarantees with preconception without some medical intervention such as spinning the sperm (increases the odds of chosing but not 100%).
    Here is some info on the more recent study... you can also download the text of the actual study to read through.

BBC NEWS | Health | High-calorie diet linked to boys

Boy or Girl? The Answer May Depend on Moms Eating Habits - Well - Tara Parker-Pope - Health - New York Times Blog
    viivincent Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Jul 10, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Okay read your articles. Doesn't sound like the "study" is that conclusive: 56% to 45% come on! You're making it sound like you can influence the sex of your baby by your eating habits. Even your articles if you read them for the facts and not just for the opinion of the author those chances are VERY slim. The study was done more to understand the apparent decrease in male births compared to female births in industrial countries.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by viivincent
    okay read your articles. Doesn't sound like the "study" is that conclusive: 56% to 45% come on! You're making it sound like you can influence the sex of your baby by your eating habits. even your articles if you read them for the facts and not just for the opinion of the author those chances are VERY slim. The study was done more to understand the apparent decrease in male births compared to female births in industrial countries.

As with many initial studies, they are merely a means of trying to test a hypothesis. In this case, they are trying to determine whether the results from more extensive studies done with other animals translate to humans... and they did find some evidence of that... accordingly, more research is being done since obviously only by being able to replicate the results can they determine whether something is truly effective.

Many studies are not conclusive... an increase in probability does not need to be 100% to be considered worthy of further study or to have merit. Much research is taken into account, and acted upon, that does not show 100% guaranteed results one way or another... and much of that is often based on fewer participants. This is partly why there are recommendations and not directives in many areas of health care.

Once again, I did not say these are definite ways, only that some feel they might be a way of increasing the odds... however small that increase may or may not be. I am merely providing current information that is available for others to investigate and decide what they will or won't do with it. Whether someone agrees with the information or not is up to them, but providing that information is what helps others make truly informed decisions.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC
    As far as trying for a girl, there is some thought that if you have intercourse for a few days prior to ovulation a girl will be more likely....where as if you have intercourse very close to ovulation, there is a greater chance for a boy.
    Exactly. According to Dr. Landrum B. Shettles, sperm carrying the male chromosome (boy sperm) move faster than sperm carrying the female chromosome (girl sperm). But the girl sperm live longer. So if you have intercourse 2 to 4 days before ovulation then the likelihood of conceiving a girl increases, since the boy sperm have died out but some girl sperm still remain at the time of ovulation. If you have intercourse during or after ovulation then the boy sperm will get to the egg faster than the girl sperm.

Check out Shettles Method for Conceiving a Girl for a more detailed explanation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After suffering from a seizure [ 2 Answers ]

I have just come out of a seizure today,I don't know how long I was out, just waking up to noises,too loud for sure, and light that was too bright. It took 2 hours to acclimate myself to normalcy,than a trip to the hospital,only to get a 6 hour work over and no real answers(typically the...

Implantation or just irregularity? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for awhile now with no success. I tend to have very irregular periods and have found it difficult to track my cycle. Anyway, for a couple of days now I have had some pink to dark colored, kind of stringy spotting accompanied by mild cramps and...

Suffering Again.am I really this ignorant? [ 76 Answers ]

Ok... so I'm back. I have been on the boards browsing this whole time, but haven't really posted, but here I am again. Long story short... had a boyfriend... for about 9 months, he said he needed a break. We broke up and I thought I would die. I suffered and made myself and everyone around me...

Pain & Suffering [ 1 Answers ]

I have been asked to provide the insurance company with a dollar amount to cover my pain & suffering in order to come to a settlement amount. I am at a complete loss as to what to ask for and was wondering if there was an unspoken average to start with.

View more questions Search