Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtcandelaria Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Paid holiday
    Hi,

Our company cut down into 4 days a week working days, Friday being off day. July 4th fell on a Friday and the company owner told us that because Friday is our off day, he will not pay us for the July 4th holiday. Is this legal ? If we are supposed to be paid by law, can you quote the section or the chapter in the Labor Law ? Thanks:
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Jul 8, 2008, 06:21 PM
    I've never heard of a US federal law requiring private or corporate employers to give wage employees paid holidays. Some are entitled in connection with union contracts, but there are plenty of employees that don't work under union contracts.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 06:24 PM
    No there is no law requiring any pay for any holiday, There are some companies that don't give many or any paid holiday. So if they don't want to pay you for a holiday they don't have to.

Each company sets their own rules
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Think of it this way: You wouldn't expect them to pay you for the holiday if it fell on Saturday or Sunday, right? Now that you are working 4-day weeks, you essentially have another weekend day, and they don't have to pay you if the holiday falls on it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2008, 05:01 AM
    Because the holiday fell on a day that you were not scheduled to work, why would you think you should be paid for this holiday? If the 4th fell on a Saturday or Sunday (as it will next year) will you be expecting to be paid for that holiday next year? No. If the holiday falls on a regular work day for you, then you can be paid for the holiday. Some companies don't pay for holidays, some do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2008, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dtcandelaria
    Hi,

Our company cut down into 4 days a week working days, Friday being off day. July 4th fell on a Friday and the company owner told us that because Friday is our off day, he will not pay us for the July 4th holiday. Is this legal ? If we are supposed to be paid by law, can you quote the section or the chapter in the Labor Law ? Thanks:

Nope, for example, if Christmas is on a Sunday and you have Sunday off you don't get paid - same with the 4th falling on your day off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Got holiday tickets not paid for holiday [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I really hope someone can help me. I booked a holiday in Feb and only paid low deposit. Then due to finaces I did not pay anymore so could not go. This morning the holiday tickets (flight and accommodation ) arrived. I went on the website to try and pre-book the flight seats and it let...

Holiday Projector [ 1 Answers ]

My wife bought one of the year round holiday projector for me to put in the yard yesterday. The cord it comes with is about 10 ft short. Being that this is for year round I am debating if it is worth just using an extension cord and only use it during the holidays or run it underground. If I run...

Holiday pay [ 2 Answers ]

If someone asks for vacation, can the company deny the employee to use it on the day they request? Example: I will be out for maternity leave and before returning would like to use vacation time to extend the time I am home. Can the employeer say that they can't give out the vacation or let...

Holiday dinners [ 8 Answers ]

I have relatives who frequently come to Thanksgiving + Xmas dinners each year. The questions is: Is it good manners or etiquette to bring (as an invited guest) your own tupperware containers to a dinner with the "assumption" that you will be filling them up and taking them back to your home to...

View more questions Search