Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Woodwrightmd Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 04:10 PM
    1978 Ford F-350 starter trouble
    I recently bought a 1978 Ford F-350 dump truck. It was having occasional starter trouble when I bought it, the starter would sometimes activate, but not engage to turn the engine over. I thought that the teeth on the starter gear were probably stripped, so I replaced the starter. The gears did seem somewhat cammed on the end so I figured that this was the culprit. I am two weeks into the life of my new starter and the same problem began happening today. Any advise? The truck sometimes does start just fine, but it seems that more times than not, it will either not start, or start with a rough, metallic sound. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 04:27 PM
    Check for any damage to the flywheel's teeth, which could be chewing up your new starter. Also, see if the replacement starter is identical to a new OEM starter, particularly the gear.
    Woodwrightmd Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodwrightmd
    I recently bought a 1978 Ford F-350 dump truck. It was having occasional starter trouble when I bought it, the starter would sometimes activate, but not engage to turn the engine over. I thought that the teeth on the starter gear were probably stripped, so I replaced the starter. The gears did seem somewhat cammed on the end so I figured that this was the culprit. I am two weeks into the life of my new starter and the same problem began happening today. Any advise? The truck sometimes does start just fine, but it seems that more times than not, it will either not start, or start with a rough, metallic sound. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    The consensus seems to be a damaged flywheel. I was, of course, hoping for a simpler and less expensive fix, but what can you do? Anyway, I really appreciate the input and I will have the flywheel checked-out. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starter on a Ford Taurus [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone tell me is there a way to get your starter to work so I can get my car home or to a garage. I know it's the starter because I don't even get a click with it when I turn the key and my battery is still very strong. Is there not a way to bang the starter to get it to go? Please help...

1978 Ford Econoline [ 2 Answers ]

Hello :) My friend has a 1978 Ford Econoline engine is a 318 or 360? The Altenator was changed. Battery will not hold a charge. What charging system problem might this be? Thank you! :)

93 Ford Explorer,Starter Location [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace the starter on my 93 Ford Explorer. Can you tell me where the starter is located?

Seller lied on 1978 Ford Ranger in AZ. [ 6 Answers ]

I purchased a 1998 Ford Ranger on April 16th for $5,000 cash. The only did not have a clear title at the time and had to pay off a loan on the vehicle. He did not tell me this before I drove the 50 miles to see it. I liked the truck and told him the next day I would buy it if I could talk to the...

View more questions Search